Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sajica cichlid (about one inch long) that I am growing out in a 20long. once it gets bigger I will put it in my 46gal tank that I am redoing. There are no other fish in the 46 at the moment. I was wondering if I could keep a single firemouth and a single sajica in the 46 (3 foot tank) or would that not work so well?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have a pair of Sajica and a FM in my 125gal and from my experience i'd say choose something other than a FM. Mine is a total nobhead to my Sajicas, always starting fights with them. Fortunately my JD doesnt like the FM too much and puts him in his place when he starts acting up.

Have you considered getting a mate for your Sajica? You could get yourself a few more juviniles now and let a pair form in your 20gal, then return the rejects and move the pair to the 46gal with some dithers for a lovely looking tank. :)

If a pair doesn't grab you then you could TRY a FM, just keep an eye on it. Perhaps a female JD would be worth a go, ours pays no attention to the Sajicas and as i mentioned, actually sticks up for them when the FM kicks off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought about getting a pair however when I got mine it was the last one left in the tank at the store. I got mine for $5, they have more in again but are selling them for $14 now! I'm not sure why they shot the price up so much, other then the fact that the ones they have now are a little larger. I thought that price seemed a bit crazy.

I've never had Sajica's before so I have no idea how well they can hold there own, if they are pushy like a convict or more timid. I've kept two firemouths before, one was a bit pushy but did well with a convict who could fend him off. The other was a big wimp and didn't bother anyone.

I would like to try keeping a JD sometime, I thought they get a bit large for a 3 foot tank though?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts