Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a rimless floating bottom tank. I read somewhere rimless tanks surely need a mat, but I also read floating bottom tanks don't need a mat because it can force the bottom pane upwards and crack the tank:

Using Foam Under Fish Tanks - What Could Happen? - YouTube

I have a teak wood box with 18" ply on it. It is very flat (measured with a 24" level) but I was wondering if I still need a mat under it. This question has been asked multiple times but I am curious and anxious to know what I need to do.
Regards,
Vivek.

·
Super Moderator
40,901 Posts
IMO you never need foam. The tank needs support at the corners of the frame, not in the middle. But I am not sure what you mean by a floating bottom tank. What does the manufacturer say?

Your teak box is the stand? Just be sure there are sturdy posts under the corners of the tank frame. No need for a top on the stand at all.

If the stand is not level...shim at the floor not under the tank.

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
@Rockfella, please read the below quote from a topic posted on C-F from 2017 regarding supporting a floating bottom aquarium IF the bottom glass is inset inside the side panels which is how I think you built your aquarium, correct?

The only time a solid top stand is required is when used with a floating bottom aquarium. In this style of construction (generally used with frameless tanks) the bottom is inset within the side panels. In this case the only thing holding the bottom up is the band of silicone between the edges and the side panels. Without a solid top stand (or something that supports further in from the edge of the aquarium), the bottom would sag down and separate at the seams.

Thank you,
Andy Hudson
Central Aquatics
R&D
I want to add that the above quote was pertaining to commercially made aquariums though I don't see why it should be any different than the aquarium you built if yours was constructed the same way. Just be sure the the surface of the stand is completely flat and you don't get any substrate or debris underneath the aquarium.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
IMO you never need foam. The tank needs support at the corners of the frame, not in the middle. But I am not sure what you mean by a floating bottom tank. What does the manufacturer say?

Your teak box is the stand? Just be sure there are sturdy posts under the corners of the tank frame. No need for a top on the stand at all.

If the stand is not level...shim at the floor not under the tank.
Rectangle Wood Material property Gas Natural material

This type sir. I built it myself. All vertical panes are glued on the side of the bottom glass none above it. This pic was clicked right before I injected silicon in between the panes. Yes I will try to adjust the level of the base not the bottom of the tank!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Rockfella, please read the below quote from a topic posted on C-F from 2017 regarding supporting a floating bottom aquarium IF the bottom glass is inset inside the side panels which is how I think you built your aquarium, correct?

I want to add that the above quote was pertaining to commercially made aquariums though I don't see why it should be any different than the aquarium you built if yours was constructed the same way. Just be sure the the surface of the stand is completely flat and you don't get any substrate or debris underneath the aquarium.
Great. I think he is talking about those tanks which have raised floating bottom. I have no clue why an aquarium would ever be built with a raised bottom. Mine sits on the base, vertical panes glued on the sides of all panes. Yes the box/stand has 18mm high quality plywood. Will ensure nothing is on it before placing the tank on it.
Thx Deeda.

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
You may be correct on the semantics of his post regarding whether the bottom is elevated within the sides or is actually setting flat on a surface with the side glass pieces abutting the bottom glass.

I've never had a rimless aquarium or made my own so have no personal experience.

·
Super Moderator
40,901 Posts
My advice related to commercially made aquariums...do not apply to a DIY tank, sorry for interrupting.

Reactions: Rockfella

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My advice related to commercially made aquariums...do not apply to a DIY tank, sorry for interrupting.
Thanks for replying 😃. You did not interrupt!

·
Registered
60x18x24 1700gph argonite crushed mbuna
76 Posts
Many good points and questions! My new tank has a glass to stand surface, no rim. i used foam. 10mm stuff.
My old tank has a plastic trim on its base around the bottom of the glass which has a slight cavity between the stand and bottom glass, i dont use foam for that style of tank.
Going off the photo posted, id use a foam.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many good points and questions! My new tank has a glass to stand surface, no rim. i used foam. 10mm stuff.
My old tank has a plastic trim on its base around the bottom of the glass which has a slight cavity between the stand and bottom glass, i dont use foam for that style of tank.
Going off the photo posted, id use a foam.
Hope that helps.
Are all vertical panes of your tank glued to the side of the bottom pane? If yes won't the foam push the bottom glass up?

·
Registered
60x18x24 1700gph argonite crushed mbuna
76 Posts
That was hard work..
So, no.....my BOTTOM pane is first, side panes are sitting ON THE GLASS not on the side like your photo. So perhaps no th the foam..let me check another tank..
That ones the same as yours and i have no foam under it.
Feel im confusing things so ill spectate..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That was hard work..
So, no.....my BOTTOM pane is first, side panes are sitting ON THE GLASS not on the side like your photo. So perhaps no th the foam..let me check another tank..
That ones the same as yours and i have no foam under it.
Feel im confusing things so ill spectate..
All done and set! No foam needed under a tank like mine but the surface needs to be very flat. I have 18mm plywood base so all good.
EDIT: You tank needs a foam as the vertical panes are ON TOP of the bottom pane. IDK why, this is what I have read online. No personal experience TBH.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts