Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
75 gallon tank (48x18)...

The floor is pretty leveled already. The first picture is lengthwise (48"), the second is the left side back-to-front, and the third pic is right side back-to-front. The first pic is probably about 1/8" off. This is without any adjustments yet.

Do you think this is good as is, or should I try to level it perfectly? Its on a stone tile floor.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
I'd be comfortable with those levels. You shouldn't notice a difference once the tank has water in it.

·
2,088 Posts
Given it is on tile, what kind of stand is it? If it is a metal frame stand, I'd go with it as is. If it is a wooden stand, I'd likely try a strip or two of cardboard under the low end of the stand, but if I could not get closer, I'd go with it.

1/8" difference in water level is not that much over 4'.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a wooden stand. I do have leveling shims, so its not that big of a deal. I was just being lazy, I guess. 8)

Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Use the shims, especially if you already have them. Shims add support where the stand is not touching the floor as well as level the tank. If the floor crowns or dips, that needs to be addressed. I went all the way around mine with shims (where they would go) and was surprised how much of a gap there was in places.

If your stand is sitting perfectly flat on the floor and you are an 1/8" out I wouldn't mess with it though.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand what you mean... but, its not the length of the level that matters, its the length of the section being measured. So, while the tank is 4 feet, and the level is 2 feet, it would be the same if I am using a 2 ft level or a 4 ft. level. What WOULD matter is if the tank was 2 ft long vs. the 4 ft that it actually is. Correct? Is my geometry correct?

Pic 2 and 3 are measuring an 18" length (depth of the tank). So, while the level looks the same as pic 1, the lean or slope is more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.