Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so *** got a 55 gallon that i have determined has a slow leak. The questions that i have are:
-It is an established tank with 15 saulosi inside. WHAT DO I DO WITH THE FISH?
-I have a 25 gallon set up established that has 1 catfish in it. Will the 15 saulosi be alright in that tank while i fix the 55 gallon?
-How do i maintain the benificail bacteria?
-Given the time crunch do i break down my current tank and rebuild it or just buy a new tank?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Saulosi will be fine for a short amount of time in a 25. It's not ideal but it's a drastic situation.

Move your filter from the 55 to the 25, that will keep your bacteria.

Given the time frame, if you can afford it, buy a new tank and move them as fast as you can. Then fix your old tank. Then you have 2 55's and a reason to start a new tank! :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast response. What do i do with the substrate? i have wanted to switch to PFS for a while. would this be a good time or will that kill my ecosystem?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Depending on your filtration, most of your bacteria lives in your filter. I switched from black gravel to pfs after 2 years with my then CA/SA tank and there was no ammonia or nitrite spike. I did nothing special, just took out the gravel, rinsed the pfs about 3 times and threw it in.

If you're concerned about it you can put some substrate in panty hose or something similar and also put that in your canister tray, behind your filter pad in a HoB, or in a sump. I don't know what kind of filter(s) you have but it can be done regardless of set up. If you have a canister or sump I would think it wouldn't be needed.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If it is leaking at the seams, you should be able to fix it quickly/easily. Hardware stores carry silicone I and you can either redo the seam or do a patch, depending on the leak location. Keep your filter running and it will keep your bacteria alive. It is a great time to change the substrate! But I would go ahead and check your local craigslist for another 55 in case you run into issues with the 1st one!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well all the fish are safe and sound in my 25 gallon. both filters were moved the the 25 which is a crazy amount of filtration for the 25 but it works. I completely broke down the 55. There were several spots on the bottom pane of glass that had leaks. Over the next couple weeks i will be slowly rebuilding that tank (pics to come). In the meantime i went to the LFS and bought a brand new 75g. I wanted the piece of mind that comes with a brand new tank. I have a friend coming over in the next day or so to help me build a stand and hood for it (pics to come). Once i have the 75g all set up i will move the saulosi into that. When i am finished with the reseal of the 55g will eventually return the saulosi to the 55g and use the 75g for a SA or CA tank!!!! (also pics to come). Thanks all for your help. Any other thoughts or concerns are more than welcome.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So as promised *** got some pics of my stand build and the setup of the 75g. I have not started with the rebuild of the 55 yet.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very nice, I bet those saulosi are glad to be in a much better home!

I'm glad everything worked out! :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.