Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 30 gallon aquarium with 6 Jelly Bean Cichlids that I just inherited. There is one female amoungst the 6. I need to get rid of one of these guys, they are super aggressive and one dominates, takes the girl, and confines the remaining 4 males into a small portion of the tank. I need to get rid of one of these guys. Who shtuld it be, the dominant male or the female. My thought is that maybe the competition is all about the female and that it may calm down with her gone.

Andre

·
Registered
284 Posts
Jellybean cichlid as in blood parrot? I would get rid of the subordinate males and keep the pair for now. It's unlikely they'll spawn, as male parrots are infertile unless they've been hormone-injected. They do get pretty big, so a 30 gal will get really cramped as they grow.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Jellybeans are usually dyed parrots. Poor beasties.

That said, kudos to you for wanting to give them a nicer home.
Removing the female will not lessen agression. Removing all the other males might, (as above, keep the pair) or removing all but your favourite fish might be even better (a single).
More importantly, you need to plan a larger aquarium for them soon. They get large. 25 cm or 10 inches. It's not wise to keep them long term in anything smaller than a 50 gallon/ 200 litre aquarium.
Also, as far as I know, few blood parrots in the trade today are infertile. Many breed them quite succesfully at home. It used to be true that they are infertile.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Jellybeans are usually deformed and dyed Pink Convicts, though it is often claimed that they are a cross with the Bloody Parrot. They can and will breed, though not as prolifically as normal shaped convicts. They will not get quite as big as normal convicts, as the deformities inhibit their growth somewhat, but a 30 gallon tank (tall or long?) is not enough space for the extras to get out of the way.

I don't believe that removal of the female will stop the dominant male from attacking the others. Removal of the attacking male will only allow another to take his place. These are New World Cichlids, they will want to establish territories whether there's a female in there or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts