Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just discovered that our 55 gallon tank--which has been running for nearly three years now, is leaking badly. We also have a 30 gallon tank in the kitchen. We're planning on buying a replacement 55 gallon tank tomorrow, and then draining the old one and doing a rapid cycle by keeping the same filters, substrate, rocks, etc.

My question: what is the best way to deal with all the fish in the current tank? We have about 20 cichlids and three catfish. Is it better to put them into buckets while we deal with the tank set-up, or should we put them into the 30 gallon tank in the interim? The 30 gallon tank is cycled and houses some aggressive cichlids that were causing problems in the 55 gallon tank.

Any advice/help ASAP would be much appreciate!

Alissa

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Large, Rubbermaid containers. Clean them out well (hot water) then rinse with some tank water.
What kind of filter do you have? How large are the fish in the 55 gallon? Depending how large they are, you might want to put them in the 30 gallon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have Aquaclear filters on both tanks. The fish in the 55 gallon are mainly saulosi and maingano, although we also have two blue cobalts and an acei. I'm hoping the whole process won't take more than 3 hours, but maybe I'm being unrealistic. This has never happened before.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
+1 on the rubbermaid. Just hook your filter on the side, drop in heater and a some of decor and keep it dark. They should be fine in there till tomorrow.

My biggest problem while doing this for moving tanks is such is keep my dogs from drinking out of them!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
Just hook your filter on the side, drop in heater and a some of decor and keep it dark. They should be fine in there till tomorrow.
+1 for that! LOL!

xxbenjamminxx said:
My biggest problem while doing this for moving tanks is such is keep my dogs from drinking out of them!
LOL- same here! Besides drinking the water, they actually try to catch the fish; lids work well for that though. :roll: :lol:

Alissa2011, just get a large rubbermaid, hang your filters on it, cover it and you'll be good to go! :thumb: Sorry to hear about the leak though, bummer! If you feel like it, you could always fix it with silicone, GE 1.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the tips! The tank was a used one off Craigslist and it had been sealed before. I just don't think it's worth trying to reseal at this point. I'd feel better off with a new tank.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Alissa2011 said:
The tank was a used one off Craigslist and it had been sealed before. I just don't think it's worth trying to reseal at this point. I'd feel better off with a new tank.
Ahh....ok then, that makes sense and I blame you for wanting a little peace of mind! (And saving your floors) :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a rubbermaid 35 gallon brute trash can. I use when I do a tank overhaul or have other serious issues. Just drop a bubbler in there along with some of the rocks and it's good to go. For longer time I am sure you could hook-up your canister filter. HOB's might be a problem with the curved rim. Solid, sturdy plastic. Just have it where you want it, cuz' when it's full you won't be moving it. I think it comes in a 55 gallon as well. Pricey, but oh so handy. Make sure it is a BRUTE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the advice! After close to 4 hours of work, the new tank is set up. I hope the rapid cycle works, and all the fish pull through fine. In the end we used two 10-gallon fry tanks we had sitting in our crawl space and dropped air stones into each one. I think the fish were fine with it all, although the catfish were pretty freaked out and are still hiding. I hope we don't have to do anything like this again--what a job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts