Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I started out with a 38 Gallon, bought my fish and found these forums. I learned that my tank was too small to house my fish so I went out and found a 55 gallon tank on Craigslist.

This is how I first set the tank up

Not bad for a newbie in my opinion but after a few weeks I wasn't too pleased with it. So I went out rock shopping and came home with 30 lbs of black lace rock. Below is the initial setup of that...

Definitely a set up, but as it was pointed at to me here that my fish preferred the rock pile to the right more so then the one on the left. I kept it this way for 2-3 weeks but last night I purchased an additional 15 lbs of black lace rock. Now I am finally pleased as I feel that my tank has enough rock work and has some swimming room. Let me know your thoughts.

Sorry for the blurriness of the pictures, my camera is 5 years old and I don't use it a lot, but you should be able to get a good idea of the setup.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Looks pretty good. The off center placement of the stacks is very nice.

I'd like to see a plain black background on it...

Do the fish still prefer the right side over the left? That might be a hob return thing.
They may (or may not) like the current.

Those are nice rocks. :thumb: I definately like it better since you added more.
Be careful not to scratch the glass when placing them against it.

It looks like your fish have grown!
:)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Oops, missed it, my bad. :)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Har-de-har, very funny, Alleycat. :p

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I had another way of hiding the ugly bubble wall I would move the rocks along the back to the left rock pile. I just love bubble walls, just not exactly how the unit itself looks :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I liked your very first set up too with the smooth stones. I have lace rock in my 46 gallon and love it. I think it was wise to add more lace rock. The final pic is very nice. I like the way you stacked the rock on the right to give it some height. Great tank!!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
personally I preferred the first scape, though minus the bubbles and plus a background.

also consider adding something like water onions (Crinum thaianum) that will give you a splash of green, and grows pretty well, the leaves should be fairly safe from the mbuna as well

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used the river rocks in my other 55 gallon that is a planted tank. I'll get some pics of that one tonight and a better pic of the one above so you can see the differences between the two of them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not the best at taking pictures, but you get the idea with these...

Here's a closer shot at the larger rock pile on the right.

Here's my other 55 gallon that I have on the opposite wall.

Yay tannins? Well here's a side shot of it.

And here's a little 5 gallon corner eclipse tank I picked up tonight. Yeah it was fully cycled prior to me adding the betta. This is a temp setup as I'm going to change the substrate and fully plant it. But the betta seems to like it so far ;) (you can see him under the tree root, he's a lil red guy).

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think all tanks are beautiful. You can see the before and after and I like the after and the other tanks. I love everybody's tank :D You done a great job. Im also working on mine, I too got the tank given to me then I went and found the fish and then I found this website. I have completely redone mine to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.