Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I think many of us wind up with that situation. There are almost always some fry in any group who doesn't develop as they should. Whether that is do to inbreeding or not, I don't know. It would be nice if we could all have access to new F1 fish to mix the gene pool more but not practical. I've never seen harm tha I could trace to that.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I was thinking more for the sake of a natural product rather than line bred fish. Once one has gone off the natural selection by doing line breeding, you are right but at that point you have moved so far from the natural that it isn't really a question of natural any more. When Africans were first brought into the country there were those who wanted to keep them pure but as things go, that argument was quickly lost to the group who wanted to make the most money. Feeding hormones and color enhancing now has combined with line breeding to make a market that is no longer very much like we would find in nature. The fish we used to find in the hobby are gone.

Thinking in terms of conservation normally loses because it is not the money maker.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts