Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my fish is getting really aggressive and for some reason is focusing all his anger on one unfortunate soul. I think they are both males. They are different species of African cichlids. I bought a piece of plexi glass to use for a divider to see if I can DYI because the one for a 75 gallon dividers I found on amazon was 50.00. I did the measurement the best I could and came up with 17 & 5/8th wide by 18 high. The fit is a bit tight. I would not fit through the top without bowing the plastic. Once I got it past the opening, it spread out enough to stay in place. Its too wide to fit so put it at a slight angle to reduce the pressure. It's tight enough to say in place without suction cups or some other way to hold it in place. It looks like it's to work.

I think if I had cut it to 17.5" it wouldn't be tight enough. I saw I can get some suction cups online that will be a better way to do this secure the plastic but I need this divided now to protect the one being picked on.

My concern is would that little bit of pressure potentially break the aquarium glass? Once it's in there without causing damage is that all I need to be concerned about or can prolonged use cause a crack?

·
Super Moderator
40,698 Posts
I would not put pressure on the glass...why not leave it on the diagonal?

Is it perforated to allow circulation?

Even with the perforations from the commercial product I have found heat and filter circulation impacted. If I have to use a divider in a hospital tank I put a heater and filter on each side.

The fish can jump over the top even if the divider is as high as the water surface. How will you provide room for one fish on one side and all the other fish on the other side of the divider in the 75G?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drilled 4 half inch holes in the middle before you mentioned the heat and filter circulation. I positioned it so one side is about 16 inches and wide for the harmed fish and the reminder is for everyone else. It's a temporary arrangement and they don't seem they don't seem to mind. It's been entertaining to watch the some of the fish swim to the divider and both fish get excited and open there mouths and wiggle around. I'll keep an eye on the temp.thanks for the tips

·
Registered
449 Posts
Fish facing off, open mouthed is aggression, even through a divider. I would look to re-home the fish being picked on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.