Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping I don't get completely flamed here, but I have a question about cycling. I've been keeping fish since I was about six, so about 17 years, and I've never given much thought to cycling. I learned quickly that if I added too many fish so early they simply died, so I would slowly stock my tanks. I had no problems for years. Since coming to Calgary, nearly five years ago, I've always had a tank running. The original tank was done in the usual way, slowly stocked over many months. My tanks have always been heavily planted as well.

Whenever I set up a new tank, I throw a filter from an old tank on the new one and just start stocking it. I test the water every couple of days and have never had any alarming readings.

To get to my somewhat unrelated question, if you have a cycled, fully stocked tank and you remove some fish, won't the bacteria die off to a sustainable level? And if you add fish there would be an ammonia spike before the bacteria multiplied?

So assuming the above is correct, when you do a fishless cycle, are you over-preparing the tank so that when you stock it there is no harm done? As in adding more ammonia that the stocked tank would produce, so that when you do stock it you are covered? I'm just wondering because I've never really given it much thought. After a fishless cycle can you fully stock the tank?

Thanks, Justin

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
To get to my somewhat unrelated question, if you have a cycled, fully stocked tank and you remove some fish, won't the bacteria die off to a sustainable level? And if you add fish there would be an ammonia spike before the bacteria multiplied?
None of this results in ammonia spikes IME. The bacteria bounce back quickly, if need be to handle any increased load. Of coarse there are limits. If you reduce to a guppy, go for sevreral months, then add an oscar... But, from a practical standpoint, it's not something to be concerned about.

So assuming the above is correct, when you do a fishless cycle, are you over-preparing the tank so that when you stock it there is no harm done? As in adding more ammonia that the stocked tank would produce, so that when you do stock it you are covered? I'm just wondering because I've never really given it much thought.
Fishless cycleing does over-prepare the tank in most cases IMO. No harm in that.

After a fishless cycle can you fully stock the tank?
Yes, that's one of the benefits, along with no dead fish due to guessing wrong on when and how many to add.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.