Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies in advance for my rant/ramble. Last night, I came home to discover I had lost my largest Furcifer. This makes 7 of 8 that were purchased in November 2010. Everything was fine through new years or so, then I lost 6 over the period of a couple of weeks. To say I am frustrated and disappointed would be an understatement.

Some background: the tank is a 150 gal (6x1.5x2.5) community of Tanganyikan cichlids and catfish. There are 7 Compressiceps, 1 Daffodil Brichardi, 2 Meagris (Shelldweller), 2 julidiochromis regani, and 5 Syno Lucipinnis/Petricola along with the Furcifer. During the time the Furcifers were dying, the compressiceps spawned 3-4 times, and the Lucipinnis/Petricolas did once. Never did I witness any aggression towards the Furcifers. No other fish have died in this tank during this time period. The tank has a sump filter and an Eheim 2128 canister filter. It is decorated with a rock pile at one end, and a vast sandbed over the rest of the tank.

So, I am now down to a single Furcifer in the tank, and I am trying to figure out my next steps. I have always had good luck with the mainstream Tanganyikan cichlids, but have not been able to keep Furcifers or Descampis over a long term.

I also have another tank with Frontosa which has not sustained any losses in at least a year, if not two. If one was to generalize, are sand dwellers significantly more intolerant of water conditions than are fish like Altolamps, Lamps and Frontosa? The fact that no other fish were lost, and in fact were still breeding while the Furcifers were dying is troubling to me.

Back in November, I had posted some topics around what I should stock this tank with for fish, and decided to take the community tank featuring Furcifer route. Now, I feel like I am back to the same crossroads and don’t feel the passion for the tank, even though the remaining fish are doing well, and have been with me for several years.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In general to me the Tangs are more intolerent of water conditions, especially the featherfin and sand dwellers.

IMO.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I haven't kept furcifer personally, but I think I remember reading that they are easily stressed(to the point of death) when kept with other species.

I'm in the same boat with the ectodus descampsi. I got a group of 5 adults, and they where in pretty rough shape when I got them. I didn't know this because they were already bagged, I never saw them in a tank before purchasing. The group was 2M/3F, but the dom male has killed the sub male, and since then all pit digging/courtship behavior has stopped. I spent a lot of money on this group and fear I won't ever get to see them breed. If you learned anything in you experience with them, any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you might try something like paracyp's to act as a buffer, i have a group of furcifers, all in the 5" plus range in a 125 gallon tank along with three small calvus (2") paracyps and jumbo cyps. before that paracyps went in the fish were kind of skittish, with the paracyps they seem to have calmed down a little more. seems like most of your fish are bottom dwelling and territorial, just my thoughts.....

·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks - I don't think that I will purchase more of the Furcifers as they are pricey. I am considering two options, removing all the fish currently in the tank and starting anew with Tropheus, or with a Malawi tank based on peacocks and haps. The other option would be to add more rock and some additional tangs, such as cyps for the upper water column, and other rock dwelling tangs.

shellies215 -As for the Descampi - I really don't know much about them, I lost them pretty quickly after getting them a few years ago. They seemed much more skittish than the Furcifers, which definitely were not shy and seemed to be the most aggressive fish in my tank.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I used to keep and breed Ectodus. One of my favorite all time fish. I also had 12 furcifer in another tank though i had to sell them prior to breding age for my move to the US.

Ime, both species must be dominant in the tank. They are very stressful on themselves and seem to be used to large, open spaces where they are kings. Females need both height to the tank to swim above a males territory as well as some rockwork to retreat to at night or when males are becomming too boistrous. Imo, these species stress and die simply by their required habitat already being occupied. I was able to keep other tangs in with them, but only as many females lived as i had empty hiding spots. I.e. Since the julies owned one rock pile, and a shellie owned another, only 3 rock piles were empty and guess how many ectodus females lived? 3

When I got the furcifer, I stuck to a species tank and never lost a one. I bought 12 furcifer and put in 12 rocks!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Number6 said:
I used to keep and breed Ectodus. One of my favorite all time fish. I also had 12 furcifer in another tank though i had to sell them prior to breding age for my move to the US.

Ime, both species must be dominant in the tank. They are very stressful on themselves and seem to be used to large, open spaces where they are kings. Females need both height to the tank to swim above a males territory as well as some rockwork to retreat to at night or when males are becomming too boistrous. Imo, these species stress and die simply by their required habitat already being occupied. I was able to keep other tangs in with them, but only as many females lived as i had empty hiding spots. I.e. Since the julies owned one rock pile, and a shellie owned another, only 3 rock piles were empty and guess how many ectodus females lived? 3

When I got the furcifer, I stuck to a species tank and never lost a one. I bought 12 furcifer and put in 12 rocks!
+1.
I have attemted big featherfins more than once. Only time they did well for me was when they were the undisputed dom fish in the tank. I still have a single from my last attempt at keeping em in a community :oops: Think if you want to go featherfin you go feather fin and only get fish that do not bother them at all. Except O.ventralis those guys seem a bit more robust in communtiy type tanks.

All the best James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.