Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how you guys with highly populated tank clean the substrate with the fish in the tank or so you pull them out? i don't want to stress all of them out. just about all my fish are juvies. when i had less fish i did a pretty good cleaning and left the fish in. they didn't seem to like it too much cuz they were all over the place and my Yellow Lab turned almost white. thanks for the info in advance

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
That's why I like sand, it sits on top and you just pick it off the surface.

If you position out filter outlets correctly, you should only have 3/4 spots where it accumulates, makes it a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
frank1rizzo said:
That's why I like sand, it sits on top and you just pick it off the surface.

If you position out filter outlets correctly, you should only have 3/4 spots where it accumulates, makes it a lot easier.
Ditto.

I just do a quick sweep with the siphon hose (with the fish in the tank) and I'm done in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
MY PFS sand has turned brown from diatoms. Will my nerite snails clean the sand?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
aprildawn said:
MY PFS sand has turned brown from diatoms. Will my nerite snails clean the sand?
During a water change, suck up all the junk sitting on top.
Run your fingers through all the sand real quick. Give it all a good stir.
Let it settle for a couple min and re vacuum any more garbage that accumulates.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have stirred the sand. it appears that each grain of sand has diatoms on them. doing a WC tonight. i will try again.

G

·
kill the lights for a few days if its that bad... i changed to pfs and its soooo much faster than gravel... with gravel you really have to get every little spot... the only thing i dont like about sand is that my tiger botias dig like crazy in it.. probly going to give them away cuz they annoy me... as far as stressing them out when u gravel vac... it happens usually they will just go to the other side of the tank.. a little stress is innevitable imo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here are a few pics of the alge

[/img]

should i clean this up or let it go a little longer, i for one do not like my tank to look like this. i;d rather a cleaner tank.
[/img]

G

·
your fish will eat that algae... its healthy to have green algae in a tank as long as its not out of control... and as far as on rocks and stuff i think its nearly impossible to not have algae grow on rocks and such

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You could try a terrarium and get a beared dragon...

Otherwise: water + light + oxygen = algae

G

·
or put the fishtank in a bubble and suck out all the oxygen... but i think your fish would die... or jus cut out the light and only turn it one when you wanna look at the fish... that will def cut down on your algae

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I think your tank looks great with the algae. If it gets to be too much just take some tank water out when you do your water change and scrub some of the rocks off with a brand new clean scrubbing brush.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the info fella's. i just see some tanks that look brand freakin new, mostly likely they were just cleaned before the pics.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
BN Plecos do a good job of cleaning algae.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts