Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 120G all male tank I did 2 groups of 6 on stocking about 2 weeks apart. In the first group, the dominant fish was my 4" yellow rock Kribensis. He even killed off my Blue Ahli that was about an inch smaller than him. For my second stocking, I wanted to look into a fish that was larger than the Krib, but not an agressive A-hole, in the hopes he would become a gentle tank boss. I got a nice 6" Star Sapphire. It seemed to work like a champ. The Rock Krib tried to assert himself and quickly realized he had been knocked off his perch. All has been great for about a week now, tank is very peaceful and everyone getting along great. Today I am starting to notice the Krib not acting right, he is sort of hanging out in the corners etc. He looks perfectly fine appearance wise, no nipped fins, no obvious battle wounds, and I haven't witnessed anyone messing with him. Not sure what to make of it. Do these fish go thru some sort of "depression" when they lose the top spot in a tank?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'd personally say they definitely do mope when things don't go their way, and I've witnessed the same thing with all the fish I've kept over the years; SA, CA, Africans, etc. Especially when they get knocked down from the top spot down to the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Keep watching for nipped fins and signs of injury or illness.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts