Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me wife wants some Rams, I have a heavily planted 24x12x12" tank which is home to our male guppy's & 4 pygmy corry's at the min but I would move the guppy's into my 5ft tank with the girls. Would this tank be big enough for 2 or 3 Rams :?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
adam79 said:
What kind of rams?
Not really sure as our LFS have different ones Bolivain, gold the others are classed just a Rams & I think i've seen blue Rams listed. What would you recomend to a first timer with Rams ? I've kept & bread Angels & Kribs before with no probs

·
Registered
697 Posts
Bolivians would be a better choice. They are hardier and more compatable with your existing fish. Corydoras tend to like cooler water that isn't ideal for blue rams. Many people will tell you that bolivians are better kept in groups, which is true, but that doesn't mean they can't be kept in pairs.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think that tank is too small for Bolivians. Bolivians get to be larger than you'd expect. Mine are 4" and THICK! The smallest tank I'd keep them in would be a 20 long, and even then, only one pair. 24" of tank is not enough :(

However, there are a lot of dwarf cichlids that would be perfect for a tank that size! If you haven't kept fish before, German Blue Rams might not be the best choice, though they would be small enough. You might want to look into Apistogramma though. They're adorable, and would do well in that size tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I think a pair of blue rams would be fine in that tank.I adore blue rams with their cute behavoir, i keep mine at 80 F with corys and bristlenose. moving the male guppys is a good idea as they are far too 'busy' for them-although you will end up with a load of guppys

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We ended up with 2 Blue Rams & they seem to be doing fine :dancing: They are housed with 4 pygmy cory's & 4 neons

1 - 8 of 8 Posts