Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in kind of a rural area and only 1 store in the local area stocks lake Tang. cichlids. (very limited) Since I just have 1 spare 25 gallon high tank soon available I was wanting to make a breeder tank for resaleing the offspring. My 2 options I'm thinking of that would sell the best are one of the Julies perhaps Marlieri or Transcriptus, or the yellow orange Leleupi's, I do have in a community tank with a few Pseudotropheus saulosi which has not tank traised any young in a few years perhaps because its been a community tank. These are around 5 years old. They are F3's. Thanks for the advise.

Oh one last question would the tank be too small for a pair of Neolamprologus PULCHER "DAFFODIL

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like you have a few good ideas. Ask your local LFS what fish they would like to take in trade. Usually they like fish that have adult colors.

Good luck... Mark

·
Super Moderator
40,882 Posts
I get the most for my demasoni...as mentioned, color sells. They mature quicker than Tangs as well.

If I wanted to make some $$ selling Tangs it would be calvus or synodontis.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
mcfish said:
Sounds like you have a few good ideas. Ask your local LFS what fish they would like to take in trade. Usually they like fish that have adult colors.

Good luck... Mark
Good advice, see what they want and can move. Tangs don't usually do good in rural LFS. You might be better off with some colorful Mbuna: yellow labs, acei, socolofi, rusty, maingano, etc...

LFS usually sell to very unknowledgable people who don't appreciate Tangs. That market seems to like brightly colored fish - bling :lol:

If your goal is to sell to this LFS, what you like is irrelevant as it may not sell. They will know what they can move.

Hope that helps,
Russ

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been frustrated since the early 90's with tangs locally. I have always mail oreder mine or had my LFS special order. I have a few very nice salousi and a few yellow labs I could go with one of those. One LFS keeps a few Julies and ocassionally they get leleupi. Labs and mixed mubuna are easy to find. I'd might consider the Salousi for a while just get my stock back up on them in my community tank. However I have always like the Tangs much more. I have never kept calvus or any of the trophus. Calvus would be sweet. I'll have to do some research i guess I could always shp.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Of those I would only go for J.transcriptus or the pulcher "daffodil" in a 25g. pulcher are not that bad once paired in a breeding set up but get already paired ones or it might be difficult. Yep if the LFS will only take colour then it can be very difficult breeding Tang cichlids and finding a market. If you go for something not in your area but suitable for a 25g then hopefully folk will come to you if you advertise. Sadly that is prob not anything from your LFS in the first place.
Other guys can go there and prob not bother with looking for adverts and coming to collect etc.

A good wild type yellow J.ornatus might be a good choice.
But yep you would prob have to order them or get them sent to you.
Next pos is your local cichlid club.
It can be suprising what good cichlids are available once you seek these out and talk to folk.
And yep newer members are a good market for well bred Tang cichlids.
Hey I have been a member of my local club for too long to mention and still buy good young from other members. Usually young from stuff they have had to search for and pay out top dollar for but still it helps em to cover these costs.

All the best James

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can't say what your area is like, but chatting with a couple of the LFS owners around here, tangs don't really sell very well. They carry them, but it's as much to say "yes, we have tangs (and can special order more if you really want them)", than it is due to sales volumes. It doesn't really matter if you can produce 200 fry/year if they can only sell 20.

On that basis, I second the comments of previous responders. If your interest is money, you're going to be better off with Malawians, at least if this area is any indication of market conditions there.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not really a money issue but If I raise them would like to get a little something for them, even if its for trade. I'll ask our best pet store today. I accidently raised a few severums once and they were very happy to trade for them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't posted here in many months/years but I logged in today to check the trading post and decided to browse topics here and found this thread to similar to my reason for logging in. That being said. I have had an population explosion in my multie tank in the past couple months that is alarming. I have one pair and a single male. The pair has kicked into overdrive and is spawning out of control. She has had several broods over the years but I have not separated the young and have let them decide how big the colony will be. But a couple months ago all that changed. Had I known this would continue I would have separated the pair. Now I have several juvs ranging in age and several fry all in a 20 gal. I too have trouble in my area buying/selling tangs.

I get the most for my demasoni...as mentioned, color sells. They mature quicker than Tangs as well.
LFS usually sell to very unknowledgable people who don't appreciate Tangs. That market seems to like brightly colored fish - bling Laugh Out Loud
You guys could not me more accurate. I have tried to wheel and deal with calvus, comps and cyps. and there is no interest at my LFS. I live in a small city with a population of approx 160,000 and the market is non-existent. My wife used to raise yellow labs and could sling them all day long. We were never in it for the money but if we could trade or sell our offspring to help support the hobby we were happy. We have a Pet supplies plus in town with a bulletin board in it. I will probably create a crud flier and post it and see what happens. It will probably be a "free to a good home" kinda thing. As I'm not looking for money for them just good homes. Good luck Steve617

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks slipperyrock for your post. I may go with yellow labs or the salousi which I have combined in a community tank. Its a shame there are not enough knowelagble aquarist out there.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
steve617 said:
Thanks slipperyrock for your post. I may go with yellow labs or the salousi which I have combined in a community tank. Its a shame there are not enough knowelagble aquarist out there.
Maybe they just do not deal with the local fish shops? Until you find your local cichlid clubs you will never know what those guys have or are willing to buy if bred well.
Your LFS is in many cases the last place you will find knowledgeable cichlid keepers and breeders. :wink:
At my local cichlid auction the Tang cichlids you reject went for up to £5 each whereas the Malawi cichlids you list did not sell well at all (even for £1 each) unless WC or very good adults. Sadly written off as been there done that I guess.

In the LFS they were selling the same Malawi cichlids for £7-£10 (rippoff) and do not have the Tang cichlids. They say they do not sell well. :wink:
Go figure.
My guess is Tang cichlid keepers and breeders do not like the rippoff of the LFS poor stock and hugely elevated mark ups and deal with each other. :thumb:

All the best James

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The one problem about the local cichlid clubs, their are not any around here that I am aware of. I will be checking. thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
My advice is to stick with one amazing show tank. After many years of being in this hobby and having multiple tanks I've started cutting down on the number of tanks I have. I just sold off some Cyprichromis Mabilibili and Xeno Ochrogenys Ndole Bay along with the tank and filters that they were housed in. I'm using the proceeds from that to purchase one of those really nice Back to Nature Backgrounds which I'll setup in my 180 gallon tank. I think it's better to have one show tank which you can spend more time enjoying. And also to amaze your family and friends with. Who knows that show tank might inspire someone to setup a tank as well.

Unless you have economies of scale on your side (ie- large breeding operation) breeding fish is a losing endeavour. Think about the rising costs for water and electricity. And most importantly the value of time which you never get back which could be spent more productively doing other things such as travelling, learning a new hobby, spending time with family and friends, BBQing, etc.

I think having an aquarium is great! It's when someone acquires so many tanks and spends all their free time maintaining them is when I think it becomes ridiculous.

·
Registered
363 Posts
TorontoRaptorsFan said:
My advice is to stick with one amazing show tank. After many years of being in this hobby and having multiple tanks I've started cutting down on the number of tanks I have. I just sold off some Cyprichromis Mabilibili and Xeno Ochrogenys Ndole Bay along with the tank and filters that they were housed in. I'm using the proceeds from that to purchase one of those really nice Back to Nature Backgrounds which I'll setup in my 180 gallon tank. I think it's better to have one show tank which you can spend more time enjoying. And also to amaze your family and friends with. Who knows that show tank might inspire someone to setup a tank as well.

Unless you have economies of scale on your side (ie- large breeding operation) breeding fish is a losing endeavour. Think about the rising costs for water and electricity. And most importantly the value of time which you never get back which could be spent more productively doing other things such as travelling, learning a new hobby, spending time with family and friends, BBQing, etc.

I think having an aquarium is great! It's when someone acquires so many tanks and spends all their free time maintaining them is when I think it becomes ridiculous.
LOL. Too true. =D>

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
TorontoRaptorsFan said:
For sure. Far easier ways of making money. You kind of stick with breeding cichlids only if you enjoy it.
Lots of folk try it for profit and lose money. But then few plan it as a biusness. I kind of worked out to make a decent living out of it I would need 120 tanks of breeding fish and have to switch species regularly as I flooded the market with each in turn.

Far too many decisions based on profit for me to continue keeping em with enjoyment if I tried to make a buisness out of it. So kind of never tried the idea.

Import of cichlids kind of far more attractive as a money making proposition.
But still far easier ways of keeping your head above water than that I think.

All the best James

·
Registered
230 Posts
Another observation I should point out. I have seen very few fishrooms which also had very neat and clean homes. I remember visiting one person's fishroom years ago and seeing one of the filthiest fishrooms ever. The house would have been the perfect candidate for an episode of hoarders.

How inspiring is it to see beautiful show tanks every month featured in the tank of the month. I am blown away by this incredible showtank that housed gorgeous variants of Petrochromis. This to me is far more impressive than most fishrooms out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OfEFw9x ... er&list=UL

·
Registered
10 Posts
The last post nailed it. I started with one tank and a few babies. Now I am up to 15 growing out babies all over. In my area common African cichlids are of little value. I recently sold 15 adult Brichardi for $4 each store credit. Do what you do to enjoy the hobby making any profit is difficult and questionable at best.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts