Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a 36gal bow front tank that I am setting up with decor. There is sand subtrate, and i will be using rock, terracotta pots, plastic/fake plants and some shells.

My question is, I like the shell dwellers, they look really neat to me. But I also want to have some other cichlids in with them. I need to know what are the Do's and Do not's on a community tanganyikan tank. And what are great and appeling tankmates for them? I have a very few of LFS and big chain LFS. There are some generic common african cichlids that *** found to like, and was also wondering if that would be a smart mix?

Im not savy on their technical scientific name. So please post the common name next to it so I can learn to identify the various of species for this communtiy. Thanks and I hope to hear something very soon!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Going to jump in here even though I don't - and haven't, really - keep Tangs. But I read this forum quite a bit and have a general idea of what you'll hear:

There are 3 types of territory for tangs, and generally you only want 1 species per territory, especially in a tank that small. Sand, rocks, and open water. The shellies will be your sand species, I believe, which leaves you with open water and rocks. Open water you'll probably be okay with a small shoal of a smaller species of the paracyprichromis genus. Rocks, I'm not quite sure. I would say altolamprologus, but I believe I've read that they tend to snack on shelly fry and can be a bit competitive for space...? Hopefully someone will chime in on that soon enough. You could also go the julidochromis route for rock-dwellers, instead.

I do know that you don't want any of the brichardi complex, especially not a breeding pair, nor do you want lelupi. Pretty, but nasty.

Hope that helps steer you in a slightly more focused direction :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,680 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? Measure front-to-back on the sides and not in the middle.

Three species is good for a 48" tank and two or three species might work if chosen carefully for a 36" tank but not sure if this tank is 36" long.

In a 36" tank a colony of shellies and a pair of calvus is a nice tank. The calvus will eat the fry but the adults will be safe. Most fish will eat the fry though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.