Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this forum but I'm a former pet store owner who burned out on the business and the hobby. After 13 years without a tank I've decided to bring up a Tanganyikan tank. Really surprised by how the hobby has changed but I was curious when it comes to Tanganikan cichlids which ones do you think show the best color?

I've always been partial to the Frontosa, Leleupi, Julidochromis, Calvuz and Compressiceps but looking for something with nice color that shows well. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
While there are some attractively coloured Tanganyikans, they really are more desirable due to their interesting behaviour.

What are the dimensions of the aquarium that you are going to use? Are there any must have fish for you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fogelhund said:
What are the dimensions of the aquarium that you are going to use? Are there any must have fish for you?
It's fairly small. It's a 36 bow front which is like 30" long, 18" tall and 12" to 16" in width depending on where it's measured therefore I would like to stay on the smaller size. I Already have to Calvus, 2 Leluepi and 2 Transcriptus all very small. Due to it being a bow front up close viewing can get distorted which makes the Leluepi so nice as they show well from across the room.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I'd hate to say it, but you're fully stocked for an aquarium of that size. The only thing you can really add are some dither fish, and there are plenty available that have a lot of colour. Many people use danios, I've used killies in the past but I'm currently using goodeids as they are a little more robust and have similar water chemistry requirements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts