Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, going to be setting up a couple Tanganyikan tanks and wanted your opinion. I'm coming off a 5yr break from fish keeping so wanted to double check things. All fish hopefully will be tank raised and will be bought small

29 Gallon
6 Multies or 6 Similis for breeding
6 Altolamp Compressiceps (will either end up keeping a pair or 1 Comp in this tank and move the rest to a 180g or 125g
6 Cyprichromis Leptisomo blue flash ( for breeding) possibly could stay or move to 125g
* looking at Caribsea Super Naturals (any input on color)? Or Pool filter sand
* adding crushed coral to help with PH....... my water is around 7.2ph

180 Gallon (6x2x2)
8-10 Frontosa Burundi Colony (suggestions on how many)
4-5 Altolamp Comps from the 29g ? If they would work, if not will move remaining to 125 gallon
* will use Pool Filter Sand if I can find it, if not it would be the Caribsea Super Naturals
* adding crushed coral and Texas Holy Rock to help with PH...... my water is around 7.2

125 Gallon (4x2x2) *Hoping to not set up right now*
Remaining Altolamps from the tanks about
All Cyprichromis from the 29 gallon (add another 6-10)
Rest of stocking would be thought of later

·
2,106 Posts
the 180 plan is fine.

The 29 plan is overstocked. Cyps need a 48" tank, and there is not enough space in that footprint for both the Comps and Shellies, as they will compete for space. While they are fry, sure it will work for a time, but before you know it, it will be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Agree. This is what I would do:

29G just the shellies.

72" tank just the frontosa. You may find holy rock, aragonite substrate and/or crushed coral in your filters will boost your pH up enough for Tanks.

48" tank Cyps (you want maybe 20...6 is a bad idea) and either calvus or comps.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Important correction. None of these worked for me. But your starting pH is lower than mine.

You may NOT find holy rock, aragonite substrate and/or crushed coral in your filters will boost your pH up enough for Tangs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I have kept tangs in my water for a few years, a ph of 7.2 - 7.5 if I can get it there with natural buffers will be just fine. I usually get tank raised fish, I believe stable water conditions are better than the ups and downs of chasing around ph all the time. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, one more question...since Comps/Calvus grow very slow, could I put 6 in the 29g by themselves to start eating and growing (semi grow out). It will until the summer before my 180g and 120g are up and running where they would eventually go into the 120g. Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts