Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok going to juggle my three tanks and end up with this - let me know your thoughts..

20 Gal Long - 2 Comps and 2 Ornapinttis ( adding 2 more ) - 1 albino pleco ( small )

1st. 55 Gal - standard - colony of multies - 2 black calvus - (adding 2 more ) and 5 cyps(non jumbo- would like to add more but mine are not juveniles and cannot find more to add that size ) - 2 pleco - small

2nd. 55 gal standard - 4 red fin punks - 4 Julie Transcriptus ( 1 breeding pair ) - 4 Brevis ( 2 unproductive pairs ) 4 rainbow fish (dithers ) - 2 small plecos

Should I add anything to either 55 ? I have always wanted a Goby but not sure any of the above set ups are right to add a singleton. Your ideas - suggestions ?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would stay away from gobies IMO in your tanks.

As far as the first 55 have you had any problems with the alto's with the multi's??? Just wondering if they pick off the smaller multis

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there have been issues with the Altos and Multies I have not noticed - multies reproduce so fast its hard to tell.

I thought the Goby may not fit but got to get one of those one day - seems like a very cool fish.

·
Registered
656 Posts
if you go this route I would like to know how the punks and brevis do together, as I would consider adding punks to one of my tanks

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Caudopunctatus and brevis did fine together in my 72" tank.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
One guy got this mix to work. L. caudopunctatus, N. brevis and multifasciatus. In a relatively small tank. http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8000 much to other cichlid keepers surprise. Not tried it myself. Not sure I would be brave enough. Think it might take skill and luck. :oops: :)
Think in your case in your first 55g tank there is the best chance of sneeking in another substrate spawner.

I am afraid I have not tried anything other than single gobies in tanks under 5 foot. If there is high oxygen levels and territory space in the rockwork I do not see why a single small Tanganicodus could not do well in iether 55g.

Prob with many gobie cichlids from LFSs is they are already quite ill and stand little chance in a general tang communitty unless quarentined first.
Some quite good shops refuse to carry em here because of the death rate both in the shop and when folk get em home.

All the best James

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys - will give it a shot - probably not going to add anything at this time - Goby would be nice but may not - really need to find some decent sized cyps out there.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you truly have a breeding pair of Juli transcriptus, they may kill off any other Julis...that's what mine did...overnight in a 90 gallon tank with tons of rocks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
What is the problem with gobies?

I have had my first tang tank (first cichlid tank ever) for over a year and E. cyanostictus was my 3rd fish. It is a singleton, and lives in a community containing A. comps and C.steppersi.. They are all doing great!! I Heart my gobie

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Julies and Caudos - no problems so far - 1 male brevis is swimming with the rainbow fish like he is in the school with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts