Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been keeping Malawi cichlids for a long time and while most of my tanks are dedicated to haps and peacocks, Ms. Longstockings has convinced me to "join the darkside" and I've picked up a few Tang species as juvies here and there over the last year. Currently, here's what I have:

75 gallon:
8x Gold head comps (2"-3.5") - pairing/breeding
8x P. nigripinnis - breeding, but too difficult to ever catch
10x Cyp leptosoma Utinta - breeding, but too difficult to catch
2x Callochromis pleurospilus (2") colored-up male, assume the other is female b/c it is still alive

40B:
6x N. cylindricus (2" - 3") - At least 1 breeding pair; no fighting (yet)
6x A. Comp - Red Fin Lufubu (2"-2.5")
4x L. caudopunk (2")
8x Syno multi (2") - growing out - plan on moving in with Malawi stuff

20H:
2x Black Congo calvus (2.5") - Bought as vented pair, but they hate each other, lol
6x J. dickfeldi (1.5"-2") - Not sure if they've paired

20H:
Multi colony

10:
6x C. pleurospilus (1.5" growing out)

I like the action in the 75 right now. The Comp ratio seems pretty even M/F and at least two pairs have taken over the two calvus caves. No one is hiding in the corners or getting wrecked; no jumpers. Is this something that will last? Is there any chance of 8 comps working long-term in this tank? Would pulling the Paracyps help space-wise (and leave just the Cyps and Comps)?

I have a 50long (48"x 18"deep x13" tall) slated for the Callochromis once the little guys put on some more size. Would the Paracyps make good tank mates for them or maybe a pair of the rock dwellers? Maybe a few small rock piles and the group of small calvus?

So besides these two larger tanks, I still have the 40B and a few 20s available. I think it's going to come down to pairs in 20s (who will work long term?). Who would you put in the 40?

I can pretty easily get rid of extra pairs or groups through my local club once the necessity is there.

I know I've asked way too many questions for one post.... Thanks so much for your help in advance. :thumb:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? :(

I know it's sort of a hodgepodge of info and random questions. How about some specific questions:

-Who would be best suited in the 48"x18"x12" tall tank with the Callos? Are either the Cyps or Paracyps sturdy enough for it? Will either of these fish be ok in so shallow a tank?

-If not, which rock dwellers would get along ok with the Callos? Would you try the dickfeldi or cylindricus or one of the altolamps? Would adding the multis just be asking for trouble?

-What will not end up getting pwn'ed by the cylindricus?

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
i keep my callos ( Callochromis melanostigma supposed to be more aggresive) with cyps and julies.. started with 7, 3 males and 4 females... when the other 2 males were in the tank, the dominant male harrassed every fish in the tank.. as soon as i took them out the dominant male calmed down and now all his efforts are spent trying to get the females to spawn. the cyps spend most of thier time swimming from one end to the other when the 2 males arent flashing. all this in a 55.. so i would say leave your 75 the way it is.maybe move the paracyps into the 40b with some altos and put a few big shells for them to hide in so the paracyps could use the rocks?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cracks said:
i keep my callos ( Callochromis melanostigma supposed to be more aggresive) with cyps and julies.. started with 7, 3 males and 4 females... when the other 2 males were in the tank, the dominant male harrassed every fish in the tank.. as soon as i took them out the dominant male calmed down and now all his efforts are spent trying to get the females to spawn. the cyps spend most of thier time swimming from one end to the other when the 2 males arent flashing. all this in a 55.. so i would say leave your 75 the way it is.maybe move the paracyps into the 40b with some altos and put a few big shells for them to hide in so the paracyps could use the rocks?
Thanks a bunch for the input. :)

I like the idea of moving the Paracyps to the 40B with one of the comp groups and maybe a pair of cylindricus.

The 75 ends up with the gold heads and Cyps... until the males gold heads start beating on each other. Maybe at that point (when I thin the herd), I could introduce another pair of the rock dwellers... hmmm.

I guess I need to see how big of a jerk my male Callo will turn out to be and what ratio the juvies turns out to be. Maybe put a couple of small rock piles in the tank and then either the julies or maybe the punks... Does anyone try to keep callos with multis?

In terms of raising fry, I'd like to do it, but think that I have too many predatory fish, lol.

Thanks again for your input... you can't beat real life experiences from folks who have already kept these fish. :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.