Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am beginning preparations for an 8' 240 (or 265, Or 300)gallon with the intention of housing Cyathopharynx, J-Cyps, Calvus, L. Furcifer and maybe some similis if they fit.

Anyway one of the things I don't like about C. Foai is that they use all the sand to make their bower. The use of the sand is fine but the visible glass bottom bugs me. So I'm thinking of coating the bottom with an adhesive and basically gluing black sand to the bottom surface? Thus when they dig all the way down they'll just hit an immovable sandy bottom.

Couple questions. Will this work? What Adhesive? and will the black sand fade over time or is it actually black?

I have black sand in many of my tanks but I'm not sure why it turns into oreo whit sand eventually? I have always assumed it was snail shells and broken down rock and other calciums which mix with the pure black sand making it look "oreo'd" after a year or two. I just don't want to glue down black sand which whill just turn white eventually?

TIA

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Painting the bottom is a good idea.

GE Silicone (can't recall if it is #I or #II). The one that is mold resistant is bad! Use the other one.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shellies215 said:
You could lay down natural stone tiles, then put your sand in.
Don't know why I didn't think of that! 8) good idea!

I will most likely paint the bottom and back as I always do but It would still be shiny. :oops: I'm terribly obsessive about stuff only I notice :roll:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I put slate underneath the shell beds, and it works well. The adhesive will eventually flake, and that will be much uglier than a bit of shiny glass, imo.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
triscuit said:
I put slate underneath the shell beds, and it works well. The adhesive will eventually flake, and that will be much uglier than a bit of shiny glass, imo.
I like that idea the best.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Slate is a good idea wish did it multis have glass showing bugs me some just cover it up every few weeks hana might get some slate and do that once some of the fry I seen grow up

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Good ideas all. I too am thinking of setting up a tank for featherfins maybe a mix of Ophthalmotilapia nasuta Nangu and Cyathopharynx furcifer Kabogo Green available as young in the UK that I hear may mix OK. I kind of plan to get 12 of each and keep all the females and reduce the males to two of each species. Maybe pop in a pair of Altolamp calvus black and a few other none offensive fish.

I have tried roofing slate under the sand and to be honest it did not work well for me in big tanks though it works fine in small tanks.
Under it and down the sides became anairobic in big tanks.
I was thinking of using G4 pond sealer on the bottom of the tank and putting the sand in while a second coat was still wet.
Yep I think just a thin layer of fine sand (or a mix of play pit sand and pool filter sand to give a bit of natural variety) and to stop any dangers of anirobic areas biulding up.
Still getting the tank ready so very interested in what you do try Big G and how well it works for you.
I will be using a more natural tan sand as I like that better than black but thats just a taste thing. I kind of prefer to pretend they like natural lake Tang colours like me. :oops:

(Do not tell the wife though, She still wants to go more Tropheus or fronts :wink: )

It will not be my first effort at featherfins though hopefully better thought out than my first.

Heres a poor shot of the sort of thing I am hoping to see again.

All the best James

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
The anaerobic issue can be dealt with by using smaller pieces of slate- I've taken shattered floor tiles and pieced them together roughly- they're small enough (4x4" or so) that they shift around readily enough. Sand will get underneath, but the exposed bits aren't an eyesore.

Another option for avoiding the shifting and potential anoxic conditions would be to silicone the slate to the bottom (lay a bead around the entire circumference of each piece).

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it not good to have some "anaerobic" space? I thought those types of environments welcomed bacteria which use up nitrate? :oops:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Technically yes, nitrate reducing bacteria evolved to take advantage of anaerobic conditions. However, the likelihood of those bacteria getting introduced to an aquarium and successfully competing against aerobic bacteria are very slim. I have seen little evidence to suggest that any place in an aquarium is sufficiently isolated to actually undergo lasting anoxia- instead, diffusion will prevent the build up of most dissolved and gaseous compounds.

However, solid wastes can get trapped and create a different suite of problems. So, I tend not to argue over dead spots being undesirable, although most folks are confused about the chemistry.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Agree. The dead spots coursed no problems while undisturbed. Just when you did a deep sand stir (or want to change the set up a bit) the tank gets a does of whatever has built up there. After one sand stir in this tank (to remove some plants) I dunno if it is coincidence (but I doubt it) an unpleasant smell came up and some of the goby cichlids in that tank came down with bloat.

But undisturbed the planted tank normaly ran at lower nitrate readings than my tap water.
I guess there was iether nitrate taken up by the plants or converted to nitrogen under the sand.

But this was such a small advantage compared to the yuk found when you need to change the set up.

All in all I think I will try and avoid anaerobic areas in the tank.

Now in a sump separated from the fish. Thats the place to try anaerobic filtration I think.

All the best James

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.