Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29G tank right now that's moderately planted and generally has good water quaility. I was renovating my house so the stocking was supposed to stay minimal until my gf "HAD" to have Angels in the tank. I'm trying to get a sense of how I can keep stocking from here, since initially I had planned on A. agassizi.

Current stocking:

4 1" Wild-type P. scalare
6 neons
1 xray tetra
3 mature Cory julii
2 otocinclus.

Planned:
2 P scalare (pair)
8 neon tetras
3 C julii
2 otocinclus
3 A agassizi

So is that overkill or do you think its a doable stocking? I have a fluval 250 filter and its got lots of healthy plants taking up the nutrients.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Its doable as long as you keep up with good amount of water changes water quality wise, 50% per week minimum. But an adult breeding pair of angels need a tank of about that size to themselvs. Personally I think it wouldnt work out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i had a pair of angels in a 29gal and they killed everything else in there. Then six months later the male killed the female. If you want two id say get two females and it should work out fine.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Umm I have 4 1 1/2 inch angels in my 30 gallon until they grow out a little, then they will go in my 75. I dont have any aggression issues with them at all other than a squabble amongst themselves at feeding time. A pair should be ok in a 29 but as stated above they can be really nasty when spawning, luckily mine haven't paired up yet. As for your stocking plan, I think you will be ok if you keep up with water changes, I myself am overstocked in my 30 gallon but I do 50% water changes every 5 days or so to keep the nitrates low.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, that's about what I was expecting. My nitrate levels at the moment never seem to go over 20ppm due to plant uptake, but I do a 50% change every 3 weeks or so just to keep any other toxins from building up. I'm sure I'll have to do them much more regularly as the bio-load increases, but I was more concerned about aggression issues. Barring any unforseen circumstances I'll be trying to set up a 75g planted this fall anyway.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Oh man I can't keep live plants with my angels, they snack on them haha. I'm in the process of setting up a 75 myself, Its going to be planted, hopefully they won't get destroyed when I add my fish. I think you'll be fine with aggression issues, my angels chase new fish around for the first day or 2 and then they calm down, they are actually "angels" compared to my rams.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Oh and agassizis should be fine in your tank, I have a breeding pair and they are the most peaceful fish in the tank. They keep to themselves. But each fish is different so you might have a different experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts