Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think the happy days for me is coming to an end…i just lost my albino peacock to an ammonia spike which happened in the quarantine tank which i kept it wen i didnt notice that the bristlenose pleco which i had in my discus tank who was temporarily transferred to there before adding into the 300G cichlid tank just pooped the **** out in that 10gallon tank…I added it and went came bak to chek in a couple of hours and i saw signs of stress and the tank was full of pleco ****…I immediately checked the parameters and both ammonia and nitrites were elevated high…Took that pleco out,did a 50 percent water change,dosed with seachem prime and added api melafix and aquarium salt…but next day cottony fungus growth started on its one eye which was a bit sunken in and the following day it passed away…Purely my fault i never thought that pleco would create this within 1-2 hours…
And heres the next one…my taiwan reef who had a sunken belly before and who used to spit out food…now was eating well after adding guarlic guard to the food and his belly was improving…he didnt come to eat today morning,he was a very active fish…It was the post water change day today too…I tuk him out to the 10G and dosed with aquarium salt 1 tablespoon and methylene blue(3ml) just bcoz of the fungus which grew on that other peacock which died the previous day…He was gasping for air at the top for some time and later when i came to check he was looking better and staying at the middle and slighlty improved breathing…Slight sunken belly was still present but which was better than before when it used to spit food out…Now at night when i came to check on him he was lying dead at the corner 😓😭…I think i am starting to loose interest in this hobby🥺…What could be the reason😰…The tank temp is around 28.5 degrees now as its rainy season here and the well water is a bit more cooler than the tank…would that have been the cause?and i dont use a heater in the 300G…A COMMON THING IN BOTH OF THEM WAS that i noticed a sudden RAPID FAST SWIMMING IN THEM THROUGHOUT THE 10G TANK for both of them especially the taiwan reef which my mom said while she was in the kitchen where the fish was also there,where she said it tried to jump out of the tank which ofcourse had a lid on it and suddenly was rapdily swimming throughout the tank as if its like its trying to escape from something… it seems to have happened only a few minutes before i came to check on it to see it dead…The same thing i noticed with the albino peacock but that was a day before its death…but in its case i know exactly what went wrong which lead to its death…
Just post water change my white tail acei was aslo gasping at the surface…he was a cured patient of bloat before but is very fine now…but later he was fine…Also 1 of my 6 clown loaches was very skinny…it was so slinny that its skull bones were visible throught its skin…i transferred it to the discus tank where it was able to eat really well and got a little fattened up…It was looking healthy and active alone too and its been 5 days post water change too…Started to see it very stressed like rapid breathing and hanging at the top of the tank occasionally and all…its showing improvement in its skinniness and its belly was luking full too but his tail looks like a bit of tear at one side…and colour looks a but lighter dan usual…Hes still the same way today also and i dosed the tank with aquarium salt and methylene blue as he had some white spots before but not now…I thot he was dead as i also saw him at the top of the tank motionless too but later it was ok but still the same condition…Parameters are Ammonia:0,Nitrites:0,Nitrates:50ppm in discus tank
Ammonia:0,Nitrites:0,Nitrates:didnt check as it was post water change and ofcourse it would be high as thats the case for me always😪…
Its just been a day after i have set up pothos in both the tanks…
Water Fluid Fish Liquid Plastic wrap

Seafood Fish Fish products Ray-finned fish Food

Plumbing fixture Grey Household hardware Linens Tap

Fin Fish Tail Electric blue Catfish

Seafood Fish products Fish Fin Marine mammal

Food Wood Fish Tints and shades Gas

·
Registered
683 Posts
Controlling Cichlid aggression is part of keeping African Cichlids. Part of this ongoing education is to nursing sick cichlids back to health.

Did you increase water agitation when administering medication ?

When I started keeping African Cichlids, I started with a Mbunas in a 125 gallon tank. Everything seemed to be ok as these fish were juveniles. As they mature, the fish started fighting, then fish started dying. Frequent visits from different forums to seeks assistance followed. Yet, I kept on losing fish. There were great advices, but there were a few that was more harmful.

Lessons learned. 1. Mbunas were just feisty fish, it was their nature. 2. Fish had personalities, some were just mean, just too aggressive. Some were nice.

I gave up on Mbunas, hated to see fish die. I was not good enough to keep a tank of Mbunas.

Fast forward to today. I keep more peaceful Haps and Peacocks, and I invested a lot on Frontosa. If there is a fish too aggressive for my tanks, they will be taken out of these tanks. Before I add a fish, I spend a lot researching their behavior. I am also careful in which fish with get along with other fish.

I am also very selective as where I acquire my fish. A fish that comes from a tank where too much fighting was going on, I will not purchase a fish from that vendor/person as this fish will likely have a very aggressive demeanor.

There are only a handful of online vendors I trust and buy fish from them.

Medication - I had lost lots of fish medicating sick fish. From over medicationg or using incorrect medicine or forgetting to increase oxygen level……but I learned.

I hope you stay in the hobby. These are frustrating days, but as you gain experience things will get better.

in this Fish forum, there are folks here that have years of experience, they are always helpful in sharing their knowledge.

All of went thru this phase. Even today, I come here often to learn from others.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Controlling Cichlid aggression is part of keeping African Cichlids. Part of this ongoing education is to nursing sick cichlids back to health.

Did you increase water agitation when administering medication ?

When I started keeping African Cichlids, I started with a Mbunas in a 125 gallon tank. Everything seemed to be ok as these fish were juveniles. As they mature, the fish started fighting, then fish started dying. Frequent visits from different forums to seeks assistance followed. Yet, I kept on losing fish. There were great advices, but there were a few that was more harmful.

Lessons learned. 1. Mbunas were just feisty fish, it was their nature. 2. Fish had personalities, some were just mean, just too aggressive. Some were nice.

I gave up on Mbunas, hated to see fish die. I was not good enough to keep a tank of Mbunas.

Fast forward to today. I keep more peaceful Haps and Peacocks, and I invested a lot on Frontosa. If there is a fish too aggressive for my tanks, they will be taken out of these tanks. Before I add a fish, I spend a lot researching their behavior. I am also careful in which fish with get along with other fish.

I am also very selective as where I acquire my fish. A fish that comes from a tank where too much fighting was going on, I will not purchase a fish from that vendor/person as this fish will likely have a very aggressive demeanor.

There are only a handful of online vendors I trust and buy fish from them.

Medication - I had lost lots of fish medicating sick fish. From over medicationg or using incorrect medicine or forgetting to increase oxygen level……but I learned.

I hope you stay in the hobby. These are frustrating days, but as you gain experience things will get better.

in this Fish forum, there are folks here that have years of experience, they are always helpful in sharing their knowledge.

All of went thru this phase. Even today, I come here often to learn from others.
I didnt increase surface agitation or anything…there is already very high turbulence inside the sump where water falls to it directly from the main tank and also i have an airstone also…And yes i too do the same thing as u say…i rehome fish immediately or take action as soon as i say agression too…☹…i havent had much deaths coz of that…I think it could have been medication problem…as i dosed with aquarium salt,epsom salt and methylene blue for the Taiwan reef in the QT and for the albino peacock with ammonia burns i did have an airstone running in there for it too…i did what i could…few of my fish have a bit of cloudiness like some faint white patch or dot in or of their eyes…It could be signs of poor water quality like DJ told me before or it could any parasites?The disgnosis part is the worst😒

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on the clown loach…he was not moving now and just only shwoing gill and mouth movemnt as a result of breathing…i seperated him anyways because im sure he will be gone soon…Today showing significant fin rot…He has become soo plump and i was really happy to see him like that after he was moved frm the 300G as he was very skinny…This was unexpected to see him die while he was getting well with its physique
Fawn Wood Terrestrial animal Gas Tints and shades

Wood Tints and shades Insect Door Flooring

😞

1 - 4 of 4 Posts