Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,255 Posts
That poor guy is getting seriously beat up by the other fish so I recommend moving him to a hospital tank with a cycled filter and maintain good quality water parameters.

What other fish are in this tank, how many fish and what are the tank dimensions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see other fish chase him. I do see a lot of brown algae in the water, I have tested the pH 8.0 and changed water yesterday. How to get rid of brown algae? I limit the light exposure in the tank. The tank is 45 gallon with 12 african Miwali cichilds

·
Super Moderator
2,255 Posts
You don't always see the other fish chase him or beat him up, it usually happens when you aren't watching.

What are the dimensions of your 45 gallon tank, post the Length x Width x Height please? I have a feeling it may be too short in length for 12 Malawi cichlids.

Brown algae on the rocks and the glass? It is probably diatoms and may/should go away after a few months.

Can you post a full tank view of your tank? We should be able to identify which Malawi cichlids you have and offer better suggestions for stocking your tank.

·
Administrator
41,504 Posts
12 Malawi can be too many in a 45G tank unless it is 48" long and they are gender ratio 1m:4f and less aggressive species that mature <= six inches. I agree the fish is beat up. Agression is often not seen by the fishkeeper.

Brown algae is common for the first year of a new tank...it is usually diatoms and not algae. It will go away on it's own after several months. It is not unhealthy for your fish. You will see lots of remedies online, but most are not very effective in the end.

Reactions: Deeda
1 - 5 of 5 Posts