Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone keeping these guys? I am getting a pair next week and was wondering about their needs. I set up a tank for them with driftwood and will add a few plants (live and plastic) Water is fairly soft 75% RO and 25% treated tap. I know they are larvophiles and like to spawn on something they can drag around. Other than that I know nothing about their real biotype, habits, preferred foods etc. Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I would have gotten more than a pair, these fish are vicious with conspecifics. I'd recommend something big and tough as dithers, or guaranteed you will lose one of the pair to the other. I've watched a female at 4 inches chasing larger cichlids than herself.

The first time I got them they were put in a 36x18 breeder tank, with lots of rocks and wood. The male (I think) still killed the female. They were less than 4 inches.

About a year and a half ago, I found five 3-4 inchers in a shop, they were mis-identified as "unknown Aequidens". I knew what the were. One of the five was already ripped, big chunk out of the dorsal. I bought the whole group, put them in a 55 with a few pieces of slate and rock, and a ton of floating plants. The plants almost filled the tank, but I still found a dead one the first week, and two more the next. When I found the fourth dead fish two weeks later, I figured my hopes of breeding them were again dashed. A week after that I went to catch the last survivor to sell at auction, it turned out to be the one with the damaged dorsal. As I moved the plants around, I saw her behind a large box filter - picking up her fry! Took a few tries to catch her without the fry in her mouth. Moved her to the 125 upstairs and raised about 20 young, giving some to a friend who is also a great fish breeder (he's done over 400 species of fish). A few months later he was down to one. I still have at least one in the tank with all the plants, he comes to the surface to feed. More than one? I doubt it.

I have photos that were posted as attachments in a thread on another forum, but they won't show here, unfortunately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts