Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 WC Syno. Multis. They have been established in their current tank for about 2 months. They are with 5 Calvus, 12 Gibbs and a few bristlenose. Their tankmates are all 2 -4 inch max. and they are much larger then anything they swim with. My question is, what would cause them to hide 99% of the time? It has been awhile since I have had multies but my last group of 6 were all over the tank most of the time. Daytime, nighttime didn't matter, but these 4 are extremely skittish and any sign of movement they try to get deeper into cover that they are already in. Even at night with all the lights out they rarely come out. I find myself digging around the tank every few days just to find them cause I am worried they are not eating or might be stuck. The tank is 100g, has average cover and is in a low traffic area of the house. Is it just these four personality? Or do I need a couple more possibly to make them feel like more of a school? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fogelhund said:
I would recommend a couple more, and you'll probably find they are out a lot more.
Thanks for the reply, I am curious is 4 just normally not enough, or is it a numbers thing, due to the fact they may seem severely outnumbered by the gibbs? I'll admit I am far from an expert on the button dwellers I just really missed the last group I got rid of because they were so active. I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong and making these guys miserable. I am suprised if they are feeling intimidated by the numbers of other fish, they are easy 2-3 times bigger then their biggest tankmate.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It isn't that they are intimidated by the size or the numbers of the other fish, it is just the behaviour of schooling fish that live in schools of hundreds and thousands in the wild.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, how many do you think would work? I know my last group of 6 was radically different. 3 were wc and 3 were f1's I was thinking that possibly made a difference since half that group really had never been in that"schooling" environment. Does that sound plausable? And with these 4 being fairly new wc's should I try to find tank raised?

Thanks alot for the advice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My wild caught almost need dithers. They never came out until I introduced my tank raised multi crosses. They started to come out even more when I added a few paracyps. As much as I love the wc multis, they've always been a pain for me in tang tanks. The 2 in my mbuna tank can't be out more though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have 11 w/c syno that i breed with a colony of 34 o. lithobate the synos are so friendly and out so much i can get them to eat out of my hand. i would suggest getting 4 more

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the responses, after reading everything here and on another board I think I am going to try to track down some tank raised adults and add maybe 3 to 4 more and see if it helps these cats feel more comfortable and get out and about.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have one adult multy...he's always hides in a synthetic log and rarely comes out in plain view. I too thought he was starving and not eating, but I've managed to catch a glance at him on those rare occasions when he comes out and saw that his belly is quite fat...so he's eating something...not sure what (perhaps left over sinking NLS pellets) but he's healthy and I'm not concerned about seeing him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts