Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
hoppy2468 said:
Can I keep several Synodontis Multipunctatus in a 150g with my 18 Dubs who are 1.5-2"?
Yes, but do keep in mind that they are likely to interfere with the duboisi spawning, and replace duboisi eggs with their own in spawns. You

·
Registered
90 Posts
keep at least six. from what i understand they have never been breed in captivity with a tang host. so they will eat the duboisi eggs but it is unlikely your duboisi will pick up any of the catfish eggs. they are a great addition to any african tank if your not worried about spawning.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Pretty sure Tropheus have been used as hosts for them in the past. But their natural hosts are mainly Ctenochromis horei and Simochromis babaulti so yep usually far easier to use big Malawi Haps as hosts.

All the best James

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
woogie0004 said:
from what i understand they have never been breed in captivity with a tang host.
Hmm, sounds like a challenge :D May have to move some to the Tropheus tank!

24Tropheus said:
far easier to use big Malawi Haps as hosts.
+1. Mine looove breeding with peacocks, although mbuna will do in a pinch. I'm sure slightly larger Malawi haps would be great! :thumb:

·
Registered
90 Posts
how long does it take for your cichlid to catch on and quit breeding? *** got a colony of 35 electric blues i was getting a holding female every 4 days its been 2 weeks since *** seen any holding females

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
woogie0004 said:
how long does it take for your cichlid to catch on and quit breeding?
I haven't gotten the impression they do. It might seem like it because of many of their spawns getting hikacked, and also the synos butting in all the time hinders the effectiveness of their breeding attempts, but I have not gotten the impression that they quit trying. The instinct is powerful... and mouthbrooders evolved their strategy precisely to cope better with egg and fry eaters, which is what the synos represent to them.

·
Registered
414 Posts
my colony of peacocks stopped spawning after putting cuckoos in the tank, the male displayed spawning behaviour but instead of concentrating on the females, he went ballistic on the cuckoos, i had to remove them from the tank for fear of being killed or jumping out. two days after removing them, and i have 3 mouthfuls already. so yeah the male aulonocara was definately wise to the cuckoos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts