Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to breed synodontis multipunctatus. currently i have 11 wild caught synos that i was told have breed in a 180 gallon tank with 24 3" electric blues. i have multiple decorations for the cats and feed frozen as well as dry foods usually 2 to 3 times a day. is this a good set up? would i be better off splitting them into two groups in 90 gallon tanks? any information or tips would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've had success with them in both 4' and 6' tanks, in groups of 4 to 8 (but this is not to say 11 would be too many). While they have certainly bred with mbuna for me I have found peacocks to be somewhat more effective hosts (frequency & size of synodontis spawns). Nothing scientific there, that's just been my experience. A sandy substrate with some decor for hiding spots is good. Diet was good quallity dry foods with the occasional frozen treat (eg: krill). Getting a breeding group can be a bit hit and miss, but if you get a group that will breed for you they are not overly picky about food or choice of mouthbrooding hosts, or even bout PH (mine bred regularly in a PH of 7.4-7.5). Keep the water quality good though, of course...

Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply. there is about 1/2 inch of sand for substrate. and i do 30 to 50 percent water changes every other day. I have noticed that the host fish usually eats most of the food before it makes it to the cats so i always turn the lights off for there last feeding in hopes the cats can get to it first. in your experience is there any other solution to this problem? i choose the electric blues because i have had them in the past and were very prolific for me also a local breeder gave me a deal 24 for 100 dollars and a few of the females were holding so i know they are mature enough to breed thank you for the advise

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I get about one multipunctatus fry every year or every other year or so. I'd think to breed in volume you would have to catch the eggs when broadcast and tumble, or strip the mbuna females a a week or two after they spawn to increase fry numbers.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Stripping the host cichlid after 7-8 days will give you a decent yield of Synos; much longer than that and they start cannibalizing each other. It's not uncommon for just a lone Syno to emerge if the host if left to hold until she decides to spit. (I actually witnessed one yellow lab cough out that last lone very well developped Syno, and the convulsions it took - talk about throwing up!)

The Synodontis are experts at finding food that we don't see and that the cichlids miss... overfeeding the tank to ensure they get their share is a common mistake. If you're concerned that they are not getting enough, then dropping in a bit of sinking food and hour or two after the tank and room are dark is a better option.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will try feeding after dark. i have fine sand in the tank and never see any uneaten food so i would assume i am not over feeding i feed them usually 3 times a day with a variety of food includeing two different cichlid pellets frozen brine shrimp frozen krill frozen blood worms and frozen mysis shrimp not all at the same time of course. are there any other foods i should look into or any other tips to spawning.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Think you mean Synodontis multipunctata Yep lots of folk call em multipuctatus in error inc folk even selling WC ones :-? . I would keep em in the large tank with the big Haps not their natural host being from a different lake but a good cheap one. You want to get both into breeding condition at the same time and the Haps holding em and having em eat the hosts eggs in their mouths, then strip early (about 10 days) to avoid too much stress on the Haps. :thumb:

All the best James

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I thought they only changed the "male" version of the name multipunctatus to the "female" version of the name multipunctata fairly recently? I first heard about it from Lee Finley when speaking locally, maybe a couple years ago. But just like petricola/lucipinnis...vendors are slow to change.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
To be totally honest I am not sure which is right male or female or the most favoured now in 2011. Synodontis is a genus that seems to change sex regularly and varies between experts from time to time. Dunno but have you or I got it the wrong way round? For sure not got it sorted myself. :oops: Is multipunctatus the female version and multipuctata the male?

I think Synodontis multipunctata is the more modern name but not sure if this is the masculine or feminine. :oops: Ah Languages with a change of word ending for sex :x OMG I wish we had not chosen one of these in cichlid or any species or genus names. :wink:
All the best James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts