Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I've currently got 5 synodontis Lucipinnis with a rainbow cichlid and an electric blue acara and I plan to move them all to a new 75 gallon tank which I plan to keep well scaled with rockwork driftwood and moderately planted with a few Java ferns and Anubias. I'm also hoping to increase the cichlid stocking by adding a Honduran red point and maybe 1 other cichlid species all male to reduce aggression from breeding. I'm wondering if you guys think these synodontis lucipinnis will be okay with these cichlids long term and whether if I decided to breed a small CA species in that tank down the line whether they'd be okay in it or not? Thanks for any help I hope someone has some experience with a combo like this thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I think this tank could accommodate your 'mini-sized' African catfish, and an all-male stocking scheme of 4 (relatively peaceful), New World Cichlids at 5-6 inches or less each in size. For your fourth individual male Cichlid, you may want to consider stocking with Amatatlania nanolutea, Yellow Dwarf Cichlid, or a bit larger growing Thoricthys type species. A single male iNeetroplus nematopus, Neet Cichlid, would do fine in this group, or even a lone Hemichromis, Red Jewel Cichlid male (would go with the African catfish, right?). :)
To maintain a (relatively) peaceful arrangement, I would NOT introduce a female Cichlid into that community mix.
- Everyone's aggression will go waaayyyy up.
- No guarantee that the female will even spawn with the same species in a tank that small, (she may go with the most dominant male = HRP)
- If a pair does wind up spawning, EVERYONE will be getting the 'beat downs' in that tank, esp. if the fry survive long enough to be free-swimming. Look out! If you stock with a Neet female to go with a possible Neet male in that tank? You WILL only be left with a pair of Neet Cichlids and a cloud of babies. Everyone else that WAS in there with them, will either be dead or removed from the aquarium by you to survive. :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response! So even adding a male Honduran red point and a female nicaraguensis would be a bad idea in case the nicaraguensis and another cichlid bred? So a male firemouth, ellioti or jewel cichlid or nanoluteus are good matches for this tank? Do you think there will be a lot of aggression issues in this tank? I know it's impossible to say for sure as it depends on individual temperaments but would it likely work as long as no breeding takes place? Also do you think a red tail black shark could work with these cichlids in a tank this size?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also for the 4th cichlid how would a oscura heterospila sound or a cribroheros alfari? Would they pose a threat to the synodontis or be too aggressive for the other fish?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
No female Cichlids!
And, both the O. hterospila and C. alfari will get too big for this community tank. If you are dead set on getting one of those, then I would recommend getting just ONE of either to add to the existing pair of Cichlids you have now. That would be a total stocking number of three Cichlids. The individual (male!) O. heteropila or C. alfari, would then become the centerpiece/dominant fish in the tank.
Kind of a problem we all have, I guess.... If you want to keep all of those cool C/A Cichlids? You're gonna need another 75 gallon aquarium - or, a single 6 foot long tank, (preferably a 72" X 24" bottom-sized, 150 - 180 gallon aquarium).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I suspected that may be the case I think I would rather go with 4 smaller cichlid male individuals as I'm nit dead set on the heterospila or alfari, would a blue gularis killifish work in that tank as well as the cichlids as it occupies a different region of the tank?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
njb235 said:
would a blue gularis killifish work in that tank as well as the cichlids as it occupies a different region of the tank?
Sure!
The smaller-sized Cichlids you are interested in aren't particularly predatory in nature. So, if other fish in with them aren't small enough to just conveniently swallow whole? They will probably be ignored.
This is one advantage to the taller sized, 90 gallon aquarium. Keeps just a bit more water column distance between the primarily bottom-dwelling Cichlids and your surface lovers. Heck man, if you change your mind and get a 90 gallon tank (same bottom size/stand as the 75 gallon), I would even recommend putting in a 7 - 9 group of Swordtails in there! If you get the silvery pink ones with the lateral stripes (wild coloration), your tank will look a lot like a river in Central America. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts