Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read where many people recommend syndontis cats to get rid of unwanted fry...

I always assumed that they would eat the fry.

Now I am beginning to wonder if they actually swoop in on a spawn and eat the eggs before they are even inseminated?

Anyone have any insights on this?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
They do both. When interrupting a spawn they will eat the cichlid eggs and try to leave their own behind so the cichlids will pick them up and raise them. Mine are not very successful at this...I get 100s of mbuna fry annually but maybe one syno baby every year or every other year.

They also eat the fry at night when everyone is sleeping on the substrate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
syno multipincatus will swap there eggs and ocassionally petricola will do this also they are the only syno species that i know of that will do this. and other syno will just eat the eggs as well as the fry

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
AC said:
I have read where many people recommend syndontis cats to get rid of unwanted fry...

I always assumed that they would eat the fry.

Now I am beginning to wonder if they actually swoop in on a spawn and eat the eggs before they are even inseminated?

Anyone have any insights on this?
They can and do both.

BTW, it is MBUNA, not MUMBA.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Thanks guys.

That explains why I am not getting any spawning action in that tank and why these three cats are so fat....

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Which Synodontis are you keeping?

No species of Synodontis will stop spawning action, unless you have too many Synodontis. I've found you get above 7 adults, and you may see a reduction in spawning.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure which of the species they are off the top of my head.

But...

I have a 150 gallon tank with about 30 fish in it.

3 synos.

Fish that are in this tank were spawning prior to the addition of the synos.

Now, nothing...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After looking through some pics, they are featherfin (eupterus)

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have 11 syno multipincatus in my 180 with 24 electric blues they spawn all the time pulled 6 holding females out last month with 21 syno fry and lots of electric blue fry which the synos devour

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have two featherfins in a 55 gallon with 5 yellow labs and one of my labs just had some fry. I havent seen any problems with spawning in my tank in regards to the eupterus.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like as with most other topics on these fish experiences vary...

Somehow, I am not surprised.

:lol:

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Fogelhund said:
No species of Synodontis will stop spawning action, unless you have too many Synodontis. I've found you get above 7 adults, and you may see a reduction in spawning.
Do you see more syno/syno injuries when you get above 7? I'm a little over that in the mbuna tank with juvies maturing now and I'm starting to see more than just the "old guy" with abrasions on top of the head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts