Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have a swordtail only tank, it will be 20 gallons with silk plants, how many males can i have in there compared to females, also, if you have personal pics of a male and female red swordtail not velvet, and a pineapple male and female also, what type of hybrids can be made with these by crossing them with other live bearers , please no website pics, just nice personal ones, also, if you have a swordtail only tank, post a pic of your set up, thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not get what you are asking, Im just trying to start a swordail tank, i just want diffrent pictures of the colors to see which i like the most, thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know they are live bearers, in my first post i said "what type of hybrids can be made with these by crossing them with other live bearers" I knew that they were, you were just wording your posts weird, i was asking that question because i heard of swordtails and platies crossing, but i want to know if this is true, i think what you are asking is what kind of swordtail I am asking about, i am asking about the Xiphophorous hellerii not the swordtail mollie

·
Banned
94 Posts
I wasn't wording anything weird. Swordtails could mean a few things, especially to someone like yourself that doesn't seem to know what type of fish you're referring to. That's why I asked if you were talking about swordtail mollies. There's nothing weird about that. And Xiphophorus hellerii ARE swordtail mollies :?

Also, this is a cichlid forum. I've seen people get banned for posting things about non cichlids.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Sick-Lid-4-Life said:
I wasn't wording anything weird. Swordtails could mean a few things, especially to someone like yourself that doesn't seem to know what type of fish you're referring to. That's why I asked if you were talking about swordtail mollies. There's nothing weird about that. And Xiphophorus hellerii ARE swordtail mollies :?

Also, this is a cichlid forum. I've seen people get banned for posting things about non cichlids.
You don't get banned for talking about non cichlids... instead your post is moved to the general forum (this is it) where it belongs. There is nothing wrong with talking about other fish in the general discussion area, but keep in mind that most people on this forum have an interest and expertise in cichlids rather than other fish.

You may find a more suitable answer to your question on a live-bearer forum.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Hey I don't know much about swordtails, but I do know a guy who breeds any and all of them, making all sorts of combinations that he sells as candy type names :?.

Given the appropriate conditions I see no reason why you couldn't breed any two colour morphs/sub species together. The limiting factor is whether the fish are similar enough to mistake the other for a potential mate of the "same" sp.... However I have to ask, if they fall under Xiphophorus can they really be considered true hybrids?
That's actually a question...:lol:)

I think you'd find this page useful:
http://www.xiphophorus.org/images.htm

http://www.xiphophorus.org/mapping.htm

·
Registered
586 Posts
swordtails can cross with platies and mollies. They come in any color from black to bright orange, so anything you could imagine pretty much exists. In the wild they are green, so all of the crazy colors you see today come from hybridization(mostly with platies), and line breeding. Pineapple swords are pretty, but my personal favorites are the black velvets. Male to female ratio works best when its 3f to 1m. In a 20g, I would imagine you could keep about a dozen, maybe more if its a species only tank. If you are planning on raising the fry, I would get some sort of breeding trap as they like to eat their young. No cichlid parenting in these fish....
Also, you can tell the females from the males by the tail. Only the males have swords. You can tell when they are pregnant by a black spot inside the fish near the vent. Its not always easy to see on some of the color morphs, though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MetalHead06351 said:
swordtails can cross with platies and mollies. They come in any color from black to bright orange, so anything you could imagine pretty much exists. In the wild they are green, so all of the crazy colors you see today come from hybridization(mostly with platies), and line breeding. Pineapple swords are pretty, but my personal favorites are the black velvets. Male to female ratio works best when its 3f to 1m. In a 20g, I would imagine you could keep about a dozen, maybe more if its a species only tank. If you are planning on raising the fry, I would get some sort of breeding trap as they like to eat their young. No cichlid parenting in these fish....
Also, you can tell the females from the males by the tail. Only the males have swords. You can tell when they are pregnant by a black spot inside the fish near the vent. Its not always easy to see on some of the color morphs, though.
Thanks for the info everyone, and to the guy who said i do not know much about these fish, he is right, thats why i posted asking for pictures of these fish and some information about cross breeding. I even said that I am new to keeping them, also please do not make any attacks on my knowledge of fish, although I am not an expert on the hobby, I do know my fair share about them. And Im pretty sure i cannot get banned for this because just by looking down the General Aquaria Discussion list I see threads about danios, loaches, rainbow fish, clams, and plecos

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MetalHead06351 said:
Thanks for the info everyone, and to the guy who said i do not know much about these fish, he is right, thats why i posted asking for pictures of these fish and some information about cross breeding. I even said that I am new to keeping them, also please do not make any attacks on my knowledge of fish, although I am not an expert on the hobby, I do know my fair share about them. And Im pretty sure i cannot get banned for this because just by looking down the General Aquaria Discussion list I see threads about danios, loaches, rainbow fish, clams, and plecos

1 - 20 of 48 Posts