Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi noticed about a week ago that this guy didn't look right, all fins seem swollen, lips are definitely swollen and seems to have a patchy film over his whole body and a few pin prick holes over his head. He's active and eating and not getting any more hassle from the rest of the tank than normal. 18 other fish in the tank that are all health including 2 breeding pairs. Been treating with melafix for 4 days and doesn't seam to be doing anything. Anyone got any ideas what the problem could be and how to treat?

Tia

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add, had this exact set up about 2 year, 25% every week or so, had malawi going on 15 years in various set ups and never had any problems until now. You guys will shout at me but I have never owned or used any sort of water testing stuff. I live on an island in the North of Scotland and the water out the tap is about as "un chemical" as you can get. Continuous breeding through most of my setups should indicate good conditions right?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!! Some organisms reproduce just before they die at a last ditch attempt to continue the species, so that is not a foolproof indicator of thriving fish.

That fish looks beat up (fins, lips)...IDK about the pin holes.

Without a test kit how do you monitor nitrates? 25% weekly seems low, my minimum is 50% weekly.

Regarding the aggression, what are the dimensions of the tank and what is your stock list with species names and gender? I would not be surprised at aggression showing up for the first time after 2 years for types of fish that start spawning around 1.5 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply, honestly I don't monitor anything just stick to the waterchanges weekly, I say 25% that's at a minimum, usually closer to 40%.

Also not good with names, and neither is my only fish shop there just sold as Malawi's. Like I said on a tiny island so don't get much choice.

Tanks is a fluval roma 240 120x40x55cm

With a fluval 407 that is also cleaned weekly

I know I'm not watching the tank all day but I'd say over the years this fish is one of the ones that sees less aggression from the others.

Didn't realise that about the breeding when close to death, but these guys have produced good fry only quite a few occasions over the last 2 years

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
You have some aggressive fish in there and although it would be a good amount of rock for haps and peacocks, you would want 2X or 3X more for mbuna like you have.

Put the beat up fish in a hospital tank by himself and he will hopefully heal just with clean water. Can you mail order test kits?

Since you have so many species you will have less aggression if you remove all females.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's loads more rock in there now, probably the same height but the full length of the tank.

I'll order a nitrate test kit today should have it by Tuesday.

I'll pull that fish out the tank for a few weeks and see how things go.

Don't really want to pull all the females out of the tank if I can avoid it. 1 I don't have the space to set up another tank other than a temp hospital tank and 2 as I mentioned, with my shop you get what you get and he never stocks them or even orders them for me anymore. I'd end up with a very under stocked tank

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
To manage aggression you have two main options. Remove all females or have four females for every male (thus fewer species).

In a tank your size, I would have 4 or 5 species if you choose less aggressive species. The socolofi and yellow labs for example.

If you choose aggressive species like the bumblebee and the kenyi and the greshakei then maybe 3 species with 1m:7f for each.

In the US serious fish keepers without hobbyists who are neighbors order online and pick the fish up at the airport or via overnight delivery. Is that an option for you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts