Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Im looking at switching my 36" 46 gal bowfront tank to tangs. Thanks to some advice from DJRansome :thumb: I've got a loose idea idea of what I want but still need a bit more advice the stocking im looking at so far is 1pr of A. Calvus and (n?) Paracyp. Nigripinnis.
What size group of paracyps would be best?

Thanks

Ollie

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think you may need a little activity in the tank. Both of those species just kind of hang out a lot. I'd go with a shellie or sand dweller instead of the calvus. Then you've also got a chance of getting parcyp fry to grow out. My paracyps have doubled their numbers in a year. Maybe 2m/4f enants or kilesa.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
prov356 said:
I think you may need a little activity in the tank. Both of those species just kind of hang out a lot. I'd go with a shellie or sand dweller instead of the calvus. Then you've also got a chance of getting parcyp fry to grow out. My paracyps have doubled their numbers in a year. Maybe 2m/4f enants or kilesa.
Enants in a 3 foot tank surely you jest. :eek: Dunno mate but I have NEVER seen this done well even as a species tank.

All the best James

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice,
Are the paracyp females easy to strip? if so I have a second tank (fw shrimp only) That should be identical water chemistry wise I could grow out fry in if I wanted to. Im not too worried about loads of activity the most active fish in the tank at the moment are prob my angelfish interesting behavior appeals to me more. Im more concerned with the fish's compatability with each other.

Thanks

Ollie

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Ollie said:
What size group of paracyps would be best?
They can quite expensive. See how much you can get, try to get a dozen if you can. The more there are, the less nervous they will be.... the less nervous the more active and the more they will breed.

I wonder if anybody have tried dither fish?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
prov356 said:
Enants in a 3 foot tank surely you jest.
2m/4f, why wouldn't it work? What would not work?
Dunno mate never tried em in anything less than a 48"x18" myself articles on em say stuff like.
Enantiopus melanogenys
Size :15 cm/6 inches PH : 8

Habitat : Lake Tanganyika, Africa (endemic)
Temp : 25-28 c/78 f substrate spawner Food : Carnivore, frozen foods and flakes that it filtrates out from the sand.
Tank : 90 gallaons/350 liters minimum with fine sand and some rock formations. Turbulent water.

Never known anyone keep em long term or breed em in anything much less.
For sure my group seemed to need at least 60"x18" just to get two males to full size and to have bowers and breed when adult.

Dunno mate have you raised em to adult in anything smaller?
Not generaly thought to be an easy forgiving beginner fish, eg given a difficulty of 4 out of 5 here on cichlid forum on a par with stuff like Tropheus.

For a sand sifter for a small 3 foot tang community I would have thought something like Xenotilapia flavipinnis pair would be far more suitable.

All the best James

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Dunno mate have you raised em to adult in anything smaller?
No, but I'm thinking more in the line of adding them once they're large enough to sex, not starting with a large group of juvies. If starting with a group of unsexed juvies, then of course not a good idea. But, I could see adding two of my adult males and a few females to a 36". Each male would have more than enough room and females certainly aren't trouble makers. I know it's an untypical recommendation, but I think sometimes recommendations I've seen are too unecessarily limiting. I can't think of any behavior, from what I've seen of mine, that would suggest this wouldn't work. That's why I was specific in the m/f ratio.

Are the paracyp females easy to strip?
I know I'm beating a dead horse, sorry, :) but swap the calvus for a non-predator and you don't have to deal with stripping. I've got paracyps in with xeno's and the paracyp numbers have doubled in a year. I started with 15 and have at least 15 fry growing out in the tank. I'm going to be moving them up to my family room 180 some time this year and pairing them up with my enants. I guess that influenced what I recommended to you, as I think it'll be an incredible combo.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
prov356 said:
But, I could see adding two of my adult males and a few females to a 36". Each male would have more than enough room
Prob a good idea to try it yourself before recommending it to a guy setting up his first 3 foot tank? I would guess my two 6" males would fight over inadequet space in 3 foot of space less rockwork until one had to be removed (before it was killed) and then I guess start harrassing the females which would not have enough room to have any rest and would slowly get thinner and thinner.

Yep its quite limmiting to only recommend things you have tried yourself and had others who have also got it to work but kind of better than guessing. :wink:

All the best James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts