Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I'll be purchasing a 75 gallon and transferring my fish from the 46G bowfront. On the Bowfront I've got an AC70 and a Biowheel 350 which I will be transferring over to the 75G along with all media. Is there anything else I should be doing to prevent the new tank from cycling?

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
You shouldn't have to cycle the new tank again, the existing filters should work just fine if they are mature and processing ammonia and nitrite on the existing tank. Don't add any new fish for a few weeks and keep an eye on your water parameters during this time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
MJCanAm said:
This weekend I'll be purchasing a 75 gallon and transferring my fish from the 46G bowfront. On the Bowfront I've got an AC70 and a Biowheel 350 which I will be transferring over to the 75G along with all media. Is there anything else I should be doing to prevent the new tank from cycling?
As Deeda stated, watch your water parameters closely. I set up a 40 gallon breeder last Saturday using a Fluval C4 300 gallon an hour HOB filter. I filled it with two media bags, one with Biohome Ultimate and the other with generic ceramic rings, both medias taken out of one of two large canisters on my 75. Both medias are well established and weigh at least a pound between them. I added ammonia to 2 ppm and have been testing for ammonia daily, just yesterday it started to drop and was at .5 ppm. I'm guessing the tank is cycling because even though there is established media in the filter, the substrate, rocks, etc. are all new and have no established bacteria so the overall bacteria levels in the system are low.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My current tank is fully cycled. Ammonia, nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 20. I'm going to transfer half of my tank water to a rubber maid and put the fish in their while I empty the old tank and move the new one in. Once I get the new tank in place would it be beneficial to add that old tank water that's in the Rubbermaid with the fish back into the new tank? Or should I just fill the new tank with New water and dose with prime?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Use new water...I would change the water in the original tank to get nitrates down to 10ppm first though.

The bacteria are on the filter media and surfaces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts