Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Im looking at switching my 3ft 46gal bowfront with xp3 filter, to africans I have a couple of combinations in mind and would like advice on suitability or any other suggestions for stocking
Malawi
12-14x P. Demasoni
5x L. Caeruleus
or Tangs
12x C. Leptosoma
2x A. Calvus

I also currently have 2x striped raphael cats and 2x African brown knifefish that I would like to keep if that would be possible.

Thanks

Ollie

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
I would not keep the knife with the mbuna definitely and not sure about the calvus. Isn't the knife too big for a 36" tank anyway?

Don't know about the Rafael's, I have read mixed reviews.

Assuming they will not be in the tank, the Demasoni/Lab combo should work but I would go with 12/3. The numbers you mentioned would be too much for the tank, but you could do those numbers in the tank for either species as a species tank.

Cyps I would not do in a 36" tank at all.

Calvus would be good, one pair. I had this tank for a couple years with calvus and caudopunctatus, one pair of each. It was my favorite stocking for this sized tank. I liked it WAY better than the 12 demasoni/3 labs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The knives will top out at 8-10 ins and grow very slowly after they hit 6ins(which they are now) it would have been nice to keep them as they are quite a cool fish I will let go of them though dont want them getting hurt

Thanks for the advice on the numbers I agree the calvus would be more interesting especally as I have a cherry shrimp tank(they breed like rabbits) and would be able let some out into the rock work and watch the calvus do their thing(assuming thats ok for the fish). As I would like more than 4 fish would the calvus get along with a colony of multies?
Also if I choose to go with mbuna would there be an alternative to the labs?

Thanks again

Ollie

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
You could do the calvus and multies instead of caudos. Some people like paracyps in a 36" tank.

Labs uniquely fit with Demasoni in a 36" tank because they are peaceful, smallish and do OK in a trio. If you don't want the labs, I'd do just the Demasoni.

Or another dwarf mbuna in smaller numbers for a species tank. Yellow labs, cynotilapia afra species, rusties, polit, hongi. Anything dwarf and stock 1m:4f.

Another nice idea for a 36" tank is Victorians. A species tank of Ruby Greens or Christmas Fulu is something I would like to try.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will look at getting the tangs. I like the look of the paracyps what sort of numbers are they best kept in? With the calvus is it best to get a group of juvies and let a pair form?
Sorry for the 20Q's but after getting jewels without doing proper research :? not a mistake I want to repeat.

Thanks

Ollie

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Calvus, yes buy six and let a pair form. Or buy an adult pair but make sure they are proven (produced fry together).

Paracyps I think six. But maybe continue your research in the Tang forum. I have not kept paracyps, but others have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts