Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all sorry for the long post , but I'd like to know what's best to do for the fish.

Hi again , some advice here would be great please. First of all I've got my 240 litre jewel Rio , it's been running spot on for a few months. All my Mbuna are well and healthy. Water is spot on. With internal filter , upgraded to the 1000lph, and Fluval 305. Now my plan is to upgrade to a 450 litre tank.

Trouble is it needs to be exactly in the same spot as my current tank is.what do you think of the plan please?
First of all I'm thinking of buying a Fluval FX6 , have it running in my current set up ,perhaps turning off my 305?. (would leaving all 3 running be too much?) Am I right in thinking that because I have my internal filter this shouldn't cause a cycle?.I was then thinking of leaving that running like that for a month or so.

Then the tricky part , I haven't really got room to have the new tank running for anytime before I dismantle the old one. Could perhaps get away with a day or two of living upside down. I'm thinking fill it with water , say 50% , add a heater for say a day to check all is ok. Then drain the tank ready to Move it.
Then I'm guessing save all my water from my old tank . Have a large bucket with the fish in , with an air stone and a heater. While I swap the new tank into position , add sand and rock from old tank. I'll have the extra rock and sand ready. Fill it up with the old water , so it'll be like doing a 50% water change. Start the filters up and add the fish.

Please feel free to rip this plan apart if I'm wrong , I'd much rather have happier fish , than get something wrong

Regards Steve

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Take the filter media out of your old filters and use it in the FX6.

Don't save the old water, just do lots of PWC before the switch so your nitrates are 10ppm or less. Then all new water in the new tank will not be a shock.

Otherwise sounds good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, I'll leave the internal filter going while I'm bedding in my FX6 with the media from my 305 then. Great info , thanks again.

·
Registered
641 Posts
DJRansome said:
Take the filter media out of your old filters and use it in the FX6.

Don't save the old water, just do lots of PWC before the switch so your nitrates are 10ppm or less. Then all new water in the new tank will not be a shock.

Otherwise sounds good.
This is exactly what I did for my for changeover from my 55gal to 180gal.

During the time that the fish are in the bucket there will be ammonia accumulating without any biological filtration. A few drops of Seachem Prime or some Safe every so often will take care of that potential issue. For my changeover I had my fish in a 20gallon bin and added a little prime every hour.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Stevehale said:
Thanks for that , wouldn't of thought of adding that ,
Might not be a problem if the time in the bucket is short but adding the Prime can ensure they'll be ok. Also, if you cover the bucket with a towel and make it dark for the fish it'll help put them at ease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts