Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a tank off craigslist, cycled it, and added fish. Now that i've looked around at other peoples tanks I notice that the glass on my tank isn't very good, there are scratches and the sides almost look milky as you look through them. I want to switch to a brand new tank but use everything that is currently in my tank, what do I need to do? Can I just get the new tank (make sure it's clean) add everything from my old tank (sand/rocks/filters etc.) and immediately put my fish in there? I was thinking I would use a rubbermaid tub and add a heater and airstone for my fish while I'm doing the switch. Any suggestions? I'm mainly concerned about starting a mini cycle and don't want to put my fish through that but I have nowhere else for them to go while I do this.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Your plan sounds good. You should be able to move everything over at once and avoid a mini-cycle. The beneficial bacteria live on the rock, substrate, and in your filter bio media. If all that moves to the new tank there shouldn’t be a problem. This basically would just be a 100% water change type of scenario.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Should be able to just to move everything over just fine as long as ya keep the Biomedia wet and test your water just to make sure nothing went wrong

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I would agree that you're only going to lose any bacteria that may be on the tank surfaces. I'd fast them for a day or two before the move and then not feed for 24 hours after while you test. Be ready to do water changes, and have a detox product like Prime or Ammolock just in case. There's bound to be some disruption of the bacteria, it's just a question of how much.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've moved fish like that and had no issues. Fasting the fish is a good idea so that waste doesn't build up in the rubbermaid tub while you are setting up again. You may want multiple tubs depending on how many fish you have and how aggressive they are. I like using the little 10g tubs so they aren't so heavy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I moved my 110 around, effecting basically a 100% water change and my discus, which are considered to be pretty finnicky never noticed a thing. I sometimes think we worry ourselves too much.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good point sjnovakovich, it's easy to over think it :D

I'll just keep an eye on my water parameters. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi treym563,

Whatever you use to store the fish during the switch, I would make sure you have a lid or the water is very low. I have had many fish jump out of buckets with no lids. A tinfoil barb even jumped out of a bucket with the lid partially on.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will keep that in mind mlancaster, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I always advocate testing your water parameters after the move, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
a7oneal said:
I always advocate testing your water parameters after the move, just to be on the safe side.
+1. It's not unheard of to see small spike in ammonia when you do something like this. It takes little effort to exercise a bit of caution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts