Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 38 gallon with 6 Synodontis njassae and 1 Bristlenose pleco. It's filtered by a Fluval 405.

I want to move them over to a 125 gallon.

If I move the seeded filter with the fish, will the bacteria in the 405 be enough to prevent a spike in ammonia or nitrites?

Basically, if you have experience with these sort of moves, is is safe, or should I just do a fishless cycle in the 125 to be sure?

Thanks,

kevin

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have never moved from one tank to another with that much water volume difference but as long as your not adding any other fish right away you should be fine. Your bacteria is at a level to handle the bioload your fish are producing now, so with the same fish in there your bioload isnt gonna change at all.

After the move though I would just feed them on light side for a little bit to everything established in there. Also with the more water in there it will help to prevent any spikes that would occur in a smaller tank by diluting any toxins that didnt get converted immediately.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that water volume difference is the part that's giving me pause - I have a test kit at the ready so I'm leaning towards trying it.

kevin

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Its not the amount of water that you have to worry about. Just move the filter, any decor, substrate and all that, that you can and you should be fine. I went from a 55 to 75 without seeing the slightest spike of anything.

Just dont add any new fish in there or anything for a few weeks is all.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do - thanks.

kevin

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Look at it this way. If you and your family move to a bigger house and you bring your frying pan with that will fit just enough food for supper in it for you family, it will still cook the same amount of supper in the bigger house. If you add more people in there than you gonna have a problem and need more pans or a bigger pan

. Its not the size of the house that will affect you in this case. Hope that makes sense to you cause it makes total sense in my little mind. :D

Tank = House
People = Bioload
Frying Pan = Good Bacteria

·
Registered
211 Posts
try to move as much as you can from the old tank thats all i can really say

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have done it moving from a 55 gal to a 220 gal. Not a problem just moved the filter and some decor over and everything was good. Just make sure the water temp and ph are the same for both tanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
Look at it this way. If you and your family move to a bigger house and you bring your frying pan with that will fit just enough food for supper in it for you family, it will still cook the same amount of supper in the bigger house. If you add more people in there than you gonna have a problem and need more pans or a bigger pan

. Its not the size of the house that will affect you in this case. Hope that makes sense to you cause it makes total sense in my little mind. :D

Tank = House
People = Bioload
Frying Pan = Good Bacteria
Love analogies. Good job Ben.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Glaneon

Thanks Glaneon, I have to do this all time with the kids and more so with the old lady to get her to wrap her mind around some of the concepts of fish keeping. Seems to work out most of the time. :wink:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yup. I have the same thing in the IT world, explaining the complex to computer-illiterate customers.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
explaining the complex to computer-illiterate customers.
computer illiterate, "evertime I press the space bar my screen goes blank"

IT pro (Glaneon), "Ok, don't press the space bar anymore. Anything else?"

Sorry to hi-jack, carry on.

As for the tank.. I agree with all that has been said & you should be fine. I would give it 2-3 weeks before adding additional fish.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Problem with the analogy. You're assuming that the filter has enough bacteria to handle the fish load. It may not. It certainly doesn't have 100% of it. You will definitely lose some by just moving the filter. How much depends on too many things. Many have seen spkes when just moving filters. Works ok for some, not for others. I'd fishless cycle myself.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've moved filters and it picks up the slack pretty quickly.

Personally, I would do it - and monitor for ammonia & nitrites to be safe.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Lke I said, it works for some and not for others. Be aware that ammonia and nitrite can do long term damage to fish. They may survive, but have long term health issues. Why subject them to that just so you can move fish on a Monday instead of a Thursday? There's nothing safe about ammonia and nitrite even if monitored. Monitoring only confirms that your fish are being subjected to toxins and puts you into a mode of trying to get them through it. You're implying that if you are aware of the toxins, then you can keep the fish safe, and that's just not always true.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I can vouch for the above post when I switched from my 120 to a 180.

I placed my entire wet-dry filter & sump from my 120 under my 180, filled it up with water, got the temp & pH stabilized & then added my fish... Over the course of 2 weeks, a cycle did occur.

I saw the Amm spike to .75 & then the same for the Nitrites over a 2 week period & then it settled out.

To fishless cycle the 180 prior to shutting down the 120 was not an option for me for a variety of reasons. Not to mention the fact that if I had to EVER go through another 30+ days cycling a tank again, I would have top find another hobby. No way.

There are ways to remove the toxicity of the Amm & Nitrite while this occurs however. I would dose with Prime daily for 2 weeks while monitoring what is going on. For me, that was an acceptable level of risk to the fish.

·
Registered
173 Posts
cantrell00 I think the reason you have had a problem is that it took you 2 weeks. From when I did my 55 to 220 I did not notice any issues because I set the tank up and moved all equipment then fish in matter of 3 hrs. I would say if you cant transfer the filter and fish over in matter of hrs then yes start a fishless cycle on the new tank otherwise you should not see an issue.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
cantrell00 I think the reason you have had a problem is that it took you 2 weeks. From when I did my 55 to 220 I did not notice any issues because I set the tank up and moved all equipment then fish in matter of 3 hrs. I would say if you cant transfer the filter and fish over in matter of hrs then yes start a fishless cycle on the new tank otherwise you should not see an issue.
Sorry.. Poor wording on my part... I moved everything except the substrate & the water from my 120 to my 180 over a 2-3 hour period, not 2 weeks.

The "mini" cycle occured over 2 weeks AFTER the fish were added back in. In hindsight, I think if I had moved all of the substrate, a cycle would not have occured. That would have required a ton more work though. Would have had to put the occupants of the 120 in a temporary home, drained the water, move the substrate, etc & then refill. Call me lazy I guess, but I just didn't want to go through all of that on TOP of the transition itself.

Another problem I had was that the 180 had to go in the same spot as where the 120 was sitting. With all of that in mind, a 3 hr job could have easily become an all day event.

Moving the fish from home tank to temporary rubbermaids & then back into new tank seemed like a more stressful exercise than any temporary & managebale ammonia & nitrite spikes.

4 months later, it appears that I was correct as I haven't lost a fish & they are literally thriving.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did the same thing, the tank was the same size (55 gal) but I switched substrates from gravel to sand and although I hung 10 bags of gravel in the new tank it still cycled two weeks later when I tried to add a new filter (the old filter was on death's door due to the sand).

My fish have also survived the transfer and cycle (thus far) with the help of Prime and Dr Tim's "One and Only...". However, we've just pulled through the darkest part, so long term effects are yet to be known.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've moved the filter over (but nothing else; no substrate or rocks) but decided to do a fishless cycle just to be sure - I'm in no hurry.

Using this calculator I added 14 ml of ammonia yesterday (was shooting for 3 ppm) and today's reading is 1 ppm at the most.

Should I add more ammonia or just keep tracking it every few days to watch it go down?

kevin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts