Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I鈥檓 planning on switching from gravel to sand tonight in my 90g African Cichlid tank. I鈥檝e washed the sand and given a 50% water change yesterday. Any other advice before I get going?! 馃

thanks!

Super Moderator
Wash the gravel...hopefully you did this before you changed 50% of the water. Remove all rocks/fish. Use a clean dustpan. Get the sand to 78 degrees so it does not change your tank temp.

Reactions: Clarkster

Registered
Hi All!
I鈥檓 planning on switching from gravel to sand tonight in my 90g African Cichlid tank. I鈥檝e washed the sand and given a 50% water change yesterday. Any other advice before I get going?! 馃

thanks!
You don't want to remove the gravel and all the good bacteria with it at the same time. Place the old gravel in mesh bags or bags made out of old pantyhose for about a month so that you can keep the good bacteria in the tank while the sand starts to gather some of its own.

Premium Member
Advice is probably a bit late, as the OP was hoping to do this job a couple days ago....
And with an old-school under-gravel type filter system, I can definitely see the problem you identify of removing all of that gravel.
But, with established filtration in canister, sump or hang on back filters, that tank should have a strong enough colony of beneficial bacteria in the filter media to safely run this tank with a bare glass bottom if needed.
-
But, if the OP HAS finished with that gravel to sand conversion job? It might be an excellent idea to conduct a measurement of the aquarium water chemistry. Check for the presence of any measured Ammonia or Nitrite with the kit, and positively confirm there are no problems before waiting to (hopefully not) experience any potential stress issues with his fish.... ;)

Registered
Why the change? Just curious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts