Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, so many of you know in the D.I.Y. forum that i have built a complete new stand and bought a 110 gallon tank. i have looked all over on the internet and i am getting conflicting info on how to transfer my fish and bio over to a new tank.

now this i just common sense to me but tell me if you think this will be ok?

i have 4 pumps, 2 hob and 2 canisters, 1 canister is brandnew and not open.

so im thinking of setting up the 110 and adding my new sand into it and taking 1 or 2 pumps from my 55 gallon and letting it run for, lets say a week to get the flow going and some bacteria going on the glass and new sand? and then taking the old sand after the week and laying it over the top of the new sand and then taking the rest of the pumps and hooking up the brand new fourth pump and transfer the fish into the tank. should i have any problems this way? or do i need to cycle the new tank? but then whats the point of doing a 3month cycle when im using all the same pumps with the bio load still on it?

also i was going to add the 55 gallons water in there when i make the switch, but i realize that bacteria doesnt really kling to the water anyways so is there any point in using the old water when i make the switch?

appreciate any help guys!

- Dan

G

·
i might be wrong.. but i dont think you can even seed a culture unless there are actually fish in the tank... i would use one or 2 of the filters you are using now on the new tank that has the bacteria in it already.. add like 3 fish just in case.(you dont want your ammonia and nitrites to spike) put some cycle in... and every 4 or 5 days add like 3 or 4 fish....i def wouldnt jus throw all the fish in there.. i did this once even used the same water.. and the tank was wrecked for months.. ph was off nothing would raise... not even worth the hastle..i would use some of the water not all of it maybe half.. and add new water and dump cycle in it for 3 days..but thats jus me... the method of using filters(sponge) that are in a diff tank that have bacteria on it def works thou...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I wouldn't bother with using any of the old water unless you buffer your water. Set the tank up with the new canister and bring your tank up to the proper temp. Since there's no bacteria in the new canister you can use that one to get the water circulating. Then move over your old filters along with the fish. You don't need to wait a week or so. The bacteria in your existing filters are able to support the fish you currently have. But I would still keep an eye on the water parameters daily for a week or two just to make sure you don't have a mini cycle. If you do see any ammonia or nitrite do a water change as needed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the fast response m1ke715m and jeaninel!

jeaninel - thats what im thinking, set the tank up with the new filter and get the water up to temp and then transfer everything over the the new tank. i will try this in a week when im ready to make the switch.

anyone else have any input on this?

·
Registered
431 Posts
You might as well get the new cannister established by hooking it up to the 55g ASAP.

BTW, you don't need to transfer a single drop of the old water to the new tank.

G

·
idk *** had bad experiences with adding all the fish at once.. would def not ever do it again like that...and my room temp for whatever reason even with my heat off in my house is like 77-79 so i dont even have to worry bout the heaters really bringing the temp up... which im sure is going to be a problem in the summer when its dumb hot... my philosophy is better safe than sorry... wouldnt want to kill all your fish... what kind of fish are we talkin anyways? oh and i think fish tend to make more waste when stressed out from the move the equivalent of us crapping our pants when scared..not that *** ever done that! lol just wouldnt want a spike in ammonia or nitrites...

·
Registered
977 Posts
When I moved my fish from a 30G to a 65G...in the same floor spot, I moved them into another holding tank with original tank water and filter. Took apart the old tank, moved it out of the way, put the new tank in place, added all the old substrate, decor, etc., half filled it with fresh water and then added the fish and old water back in. it was basically a big WC. When I changed the substrate much later on in the year, I just took it out and added the cleaned new substrate....between filter cleanings.

If you are using the old sub and adding new, should be simple. If you have the choice, run the new filter on the old tank for a couple of weeks. If not just run both on the new tank.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with Jeaninel and Benny. Start seeding your new canister on your existing tank while you set up your new one. Then transfer all your filters and fish to the new tank at once.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm with Jeaninel. I wouldn't worry about seeding the new filter. Just add it to the new tank for circulation. Get the temp right and move everything from the old tank to the new tank at once. Just move the filters without any cleaning and I think you'll be fine. Monitor your water and do necessary changes.

Jman

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys!

I think I'm just gonna make the switch and just switch all the filters over and monitor the water (like I always do) and just be on alert in case something happens. Appreciate it guys and thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts