Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trading my 90 gallon for a 125 because the guy I'm trading with wants to downsize anyway I was wondering if there was anything I should worry about when switching to freshwater like when using supplies from that tank would I have to completely clean everything or would it be ok to just wash out the tank and would I be able to use the substrate from that tank

·
Registered
89 Posts
I switched a 125 from salt to fresh water. (The nice thing is, salt is soluble in water.)

I just washed everything well, checked that water density was down to 1.00, and re-set up the tank, same rocks (dead) corals, gravel power filters, etc.

No problems. My first fresh water fish were Koi, and they did fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
cichlid_kid96 said:
I am trading my 90 gallon for a 125 because the guy I'm trading with wants to downsize anyway I was wondering if there was anything I should worry about when switching to freshwater like when using supplies from that tank would I have to completely clean everything or would it be ok to just wash out the tank and would I be able to use the substrate from that tank
if you where really worried about alot of salt you could soak every thing in a 5 gallon bucket with a few drops of bleach in it for a day then empty the bucket out and refill with clean water and let it sit for another day and then let the rocks-coral air dry and the chlorine will evaporate it cleacs alot of the salt out and any living stuff off of the rocks.

hope that helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts