Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I decided to get some different lighting.
I was just using the Stock 17IN bulbs that came with my Perfecto 55.
They were just the cheap 36IN LEDs with the Moonlighting.

It's not as "bright", but it's much much clearer looking. It's more crisp I guess I would say.
I also took out like 90% of my Hornwort.

I think it looks much better/sharper. I didn't like them at first because it looked like there were almost no lights, just natural light.
What do you think?

BEFORE

NOW

Yellow Lab Wanted To Strike A Pose

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
That is a nice lab :thumb:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cantrell00 said:
That is a nice lab :thumb:
Thanks. He's the Boss of the tank.
He just patrols the middle area, and seldom allows fish to pass without a bump/chase.

GTZ said:
Interested in any algae or diatom growth in the coming weeks. Any algae eaters in there?
No, just the Cichlids. Tank has been up for about 5 months or so. You think I'll get a Diatom/Algae bloom?
They seem less intense.
Though I guess lack of light can cause that as well, right?

I wouldn't mind adding an algae eater, but it seems like I'm pretty maxed out on fish.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "Moonlight" feature has a certain novelty to it, but it appears pointless.
It need to almost be a a tad brighter to get any use out of it.

I'm sure the fish don't care if it's completely dark or blue, and you really can't see anything unless you get up to the glass.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My post is addressing the idea that fish don't care if there is moonlight or not.

I experimented with "moon-light" in a 55g tank. I made a small 10" lighting fixture out ot vinyl gutter (brown exterior and white interior) and two end caps and mounted a socket in it that accepts medium mogul base lamps. Then I have experimented with different lamps. The fixture just sits on the plastic diffuser tank top that I made. I have settled on a commercially available 2-watt LED bulb that looks like a regular incadescent bulb. With the end caps, and sitting directly on the top the lighting is VERY directional.

When the lights go off and the LED goes on there is a very definite relocation of the fish in the tank. When placed at one end of the tank it barely illuminates that end of the tank and within 20 minutes there is an absolute crowd of fish under it. My Altos, for example (5 juvies) all move over to that end for the night :zz: while they are mostly at the other end during lighted hours. I get the impression that some fish are feel more secure with a little light rather than none at all and I am all for relieving stress on my fish. There may be a natural explanation for this. In nature predators, which rely on electrical impulses to find prey at night, would be more successful hunters in reduced lighting and therefore avoid lighted areas.

Just my impression! Also, my little light fixture cost me about $15 :thumb: LED lamp and all. The lampholder slips into a large PVC coupling mounted in the back of the guttering so only the iluminated end protrudes into the fixture and I can change lamps without moving the fixture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.