Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had this problem but...

The issue is in a 46 gallon bowfront filtered by a HOT magnum filter (Filled with crushed coral) and a silly auxiliary filter from wal-mart as a backup (Although it runs simultaneously). Water is meticulously kept, no other fish showing symptoms of anything.

The fish is an Altolmprologus Calvus White Chaitika (WC though I doubt that matters) female of about 3 inches. She is my least attractive in the group (She is dominant over 2 other females) and she is preferred by a HUGE male who is very gentle for a Big Calvus... I am begiining to wonder if she is "unattractive" because she has been hosting some parasite for years. She breeds semi-often (About half as much as the norm in my observation-I keep SEVERAL tanks of Calvus so...

Anyway she eats, not piggishly but she eats daily, a few NLS pellets. What makes me think it's a swim bladder issue is that she sinks right to the bottom, requires much effort to swim at all and lays at angle on the sand all the time. She is, imo, breathing a teeny bit heavy compared to the others but does not appear to worsten or suffer if that makes sense. SHe also seems to be curving her body at times in order to stay upright on the tank floor.

I have, however never observed this problem in person so I am guessing but it seems a somewhat educated guess given that she is the only one affected and is displaying the symptoms I listed.

Possible causes: As I said the water quality is meticulously kept and by that I mean weekly 30% water changes with exact parameters (according to tests) and temp, filters get cleaned with tank water every month, tank is lightly stocked with only the 4 Adult calvus and an adult Buescheri, substrate is play sand, decor is texas Holey rock and bone coral. Parameters are Ammonia near 0 or 0 if that's possible, Nitrite 0, nitrate around 10 or less, PH 8.8, KH 16-18, GH pretty dang hard (Can't remember off hand).

Anyway I recently moved the fish room outside to the garage, which was all prepared before hand of course but she was not displaying symptoms before. During this switch I replace the fine white sand which was in there prior with the play sand which I cleaned quite thoroughly. the filters were kept running in holding tanks (rubbermaid tubs) while I set the new tanks up in the gaRAGE and let them circulte (with powerheads only) for a couple of days. I then moved the fish in, acclimating them as if they were new fish (in bags etc.) and she started to show symptoms 2 days later. I'm thinking stress from the move must be the culprit but any other thoughts are, of course, welcome.

She has been affected for about 1 1/2 weeks now and I don't think it'll clear up on it's own so...

I did read somewhere that the disorder does not hurt and is easy for them to live with. I only half believe that since she does seem to be putting oout more effort to live given the lack of swimming ability and heavier breathing.

Honestly though, if I knew she were not suffering and that her condition would not eventually deteriorate than I might be content to keep her this way as the male does not pick on her and she, when healthy is very much a bully to the other females. SHe tries to get after the others now but quits before she can have a bully's effect on them.

Anyway, any thoughts and answers as to treatment/prevention are what I'm after here so fire away! :) and TIA :D

I feed

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I'm not hearing anything that suggests disease, and internal injuries from the move sound plausible. My advice is to keep her tank dark and quiet, and see if she'll heal up. Sometimes fish can recover from the bottom-hugging, listing to one side.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, yeah I treated for internals with metro and praziquantel in the food and she ate it but no positive results. She still doesn't seem to be deteriorating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a similar situation, would like to know the outcome/treatment.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It didn't go away with peas or fasting so I have been treating with Metrodiazanole in her food... I can't tell if it's improving via treatment or just plain time but she seems to be improving nonetheless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.