Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a current 55 g with 2 empoer 400 running with 20 mbuna, i want to do a 29 with calvus and multies. I want to take one of the filters off the established 55 and replace with a new one, use the established one on the 29. Will this work or will the one filter on the 55 not keep up till the new one has enough bacteria?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would add the new filter to the established tank for a week or two. Not saying it wouldn't work but if you go into a mini cycle, its like giving up a 55 for a 29. You can also seed the new filter with old media from the 400's I would just hang the new one off the front if I didn't have enough space. If you do go the route of doing the swap the way you mentioned I would use stability just to make sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would not hesitate to do the filter swap but at the same time I would increase my testing to watch for any trouble. Cut feeding back about 50% for a few days? Before doing the swap I would have some Ammo-chips on hand so I could hang a bag in the output of a filter to soak up any ammonia that might develop. I keep a box on the shelf to cover for any emergency. Simple and cheap insurance for when we may mess it up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank yall for the input. i have room on the back of another tank and will run it there for a while till i go and the multies. Dont have any Ammo-chips but will pick some up this week. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts