Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I have jaguar fry!

As of right now, aggression is still as it was. Contributing that to them having the house claimed very assertively already as theirs, as well as the fry not moving around much yet. I imagine the parents might really start attacking once they start moving.

My new tank is barely getting filled tonight (after the storm and a new job there have been delays), let alone cycled.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experience? Left field statements? Let em rip...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
:eek: Oh my goodness! :eek:

Oh man, your male can't be more than, what... 6 inches long? Geeze man, the female is probably like what 3, maybe 4 inches in length? Those Guapote's do start out small when spawning, but wow... Those Crazy Kids!
Can't see the fry in any of those pictures (It does look like the Pleco got 'rousted' out of the 'castle' though, by the male). I guess the fry are just hugging the bottom at this point?
And yeah, you are definitely right.... when the little school of babies starts swimming around in there, don't be surprised if the parents start freaking out. And that could be some seriously bad news for everyone else kept in this 75 gallon tank with them. :(
Suggestion?
- When the fry start free-swimming, you could net them out and place the little school in a 10 gallon tank or something. For growing those youngn's out, I'd feed 'em Hikari 'First Bites', baby brine shrimp or even chopped up black worms.
- Whew! Moving the parents into that converted, 125 gallon reef tank is looking like a pretty good idea this point I guess?

This is kind of awesome, actually. A little stress, I know.... that ain't gonna get much better when the parents start herding the little fry school around the tank. But, it's all part of the game, y'know?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fortunately, it is a 125g that they are in now.

Yes, they are small still! Male isn't even 6" yet, he's about 5" i think and the female is about 3.5"

Converted reef tank is up and running now, beginning cycle tonight.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are inside the house on the bottom. Not even getting off the bottom yet. Hatched yesterday- they have been showing the extremely territorial behaviors and the female would not come out unless the male went in. I was suspicious to say the least!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Whew, is that a picture of the male down in with the babies? That's a nice looking Jag! And do I see a hint of some lavender highlights in those spawning colors?
Oh yeah... New World cichlids in 'spawning dress', do indeed provide a nice bit of eye candy. And the bigger, more mature they get? The better they look!

Enjoy the show! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Just checking in on all the non-stop drama and action happening at 'Parachromis Place'! If the fry school is still intact, have you tried to feed those youngn's yet? Like I said earlier they would probably go all in for some Hikari 'First Bites', baby brine shrimp or even some chopped up black worms. Hungry little baby Jags!
Have you decided to net some of the fry out and raise them up in a little tank, tub or something? I know you said that female Red Devil was just basically 'licking her chops' at the thought of getting some of those. But well, raising some out would be pretty cool.... :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Despite the parents trying to defend the fry, what was a few hundred a couple of days ago is down to maybe 30...

I imagine they are learning as parents, and I'm not too upset since they aren't killing my other fish.

I'll raise fry from future batches, but again, I'm not ready yet. I've gone from a single 30 gallon tank to 2x 125g, 1x 75g, and the 30g all since Christmas. I have to calm down a bit! Concerned about my floors if I add even one more lol!

Side note, second 125g is cycling with its light, heaters and aeration already going. Just a waiting game now! And I have to rinse out PFS for it... but that's gonna be later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts