Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never kept severum's before and have a ?. I pick up a couple SRS about 2 months ago because of their color and peaceful nature. I'm use to African's :) Well at first they really did not bother with each other, but as they grew one became more dominent than the other. One is shaped higher and a more slender than the passive one which is the same length but more stout for lack of terms. I think they are a pair because the slender one will chase the other around the tank at times, but if it stops the per say male does not attach her. this has been going on for over a month. Not a mark on the female if you will. Since they are roughly 4" long I decided to put a flower pot in the tank to see what happens. Well I get up the next morning and glance over at my tank and these two are lock liped in the front of the tank. Is this some type of breeding ritual with these fish? They did not appear to be trying to hurt each other, they were not thrashing and even when I pinged the glass they backed away as a unit. I only saw it that morning and they seem to be back to their normal routine.

Sorry for all the air but I figured I better explain this one :D

Steve

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has bred Severum's before :)

I understand that the odds of these producing are quite slim even if they are a pair....
But I just want to understand the breeding actvity if they give me the chance. Can anyone share their experience breeding other Severums?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have four super reds in a 135G tank. Three are male and one female. the female mated up with one of the males about three years ago and they started laying eggs and spraying, for several batches. The eggs were translucent, but they were always eaten two or three days later. They got eaten sooner and sooner, until the male was literally eating them as they popped out of the female. Then while depositing a batch, the female had some kind of malfunction, and ejected a lot of tissue - that was the last batch they ever laid. They are still mated, and they still prepare a surface to lay eggs on every few weeks, just no egg laying results anymore. I never got a chance to tell if the eggs were viable.

Good luck with your Super Reds! :fish:

·
Registered
957 Posts
As far as whether your pair is mating or not - my males are always lip locking just to establish dominance. The mated air also lip locks on occasion. If the male swims around the female and begins shaking and shuddering in place, then it is displaying mating routine, and you may have a mating pair. All three of my males will shake and shudder in the presence of the female. They will also wave other males away with their tails. It is great fun to watch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.