Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I’m new to the forum and cichlids. So, hi.

Secondly, I’ve been searching the internet and this forum for almost a month now, desperately trying to avoid posting a ‘help me identify my fish’ post. But here I am.

I bought three cichlids a few months ago from my LFS. I thought they were really pretty and, at the time, didn’t really care what they were (beginners mistake, I suppose). The three were sold to me as Sunshine Peacocks, but they don’t exactly look like the pictures I’ve seen. Nonetheless, I was sold a “maleâ€

·
Banned
762 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the site!

"Sunshine Peacocks" are hybrid fish so they can and will look different than others. The top is a male and the bottom does appear to be a female, to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help! I was thinking the females might not be females at all since the male pays absolutely no attention to them whatsoever. But as long as they're getting along, I'm content!

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
"Sunshine Peacock" is a common name that is more often attached to two different pure species cichlids than any hybrid strain.

The fish in your photos are usually called by a common name of strawberry peacock and do not have a Latin name... never will. They are a man made breed of fish.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The "Strawberry Peacock" is not a naturally occurring Peacock. An unknown combination of Peaococks (and/or other cichlids) was originally used to create this man made morph and because of this there are many different names which refer to these white/pink Peacocks. These include Strawberry, Dragon's Blood, Firefish, Sunburst, Gold, Orange, Pink, etc. They are indistinguishable by appearance alone and have a mainly undefined bloodline. Some certainly are beautiful but a Sunburst is just as much a Dragon's Blood as a Gold Peacock is a Strawberry, if you catch my drift :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
looks like strawberry to me :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts