Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I bought a sunshine peacock about a month or so ago and its colour was coming in just nice and it was eating and was just overall very happy. About a week or so ago I noticed its colour started to fade and he wouldn't eat as much. Now the thing that bothers me is that hes still very active yet he refuses to eat. I decided I would move him to a QT so he could be alone because he was the smaller peacock. Hes swimming around but still refuses to eat. He sometimes nips at the food that falls to the bottom of the tank but that's it. Does anyone know whats wrong? : (

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was about an inch and a half and is about 2 now. Gonna try to post pictures sorry if it doesn't work I'm new at this : P

These 2 are before:

This one is after:

Sorry for the blurry pics.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Aulonocara only colour up when they are in some sort of dominance position. In a tank with more aggressive mbuna, that isn't likely to happen for quite some time. Does he take the food in and spit it out, any "coughing" like behaviour? What does his "poop" look like?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's spat food out twice that I've seen both times from when I drop the food from the top. If he nips from the bottom I don't notice him spitting it out. I also haven't noticed him cough or anything. And as for poop, I haven't seen him poop ever so I'll keep an eye out for that.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
If you've moved him, it could take a day or so for him to start eating again, even if he's healthy. I assume you've put him in a cycled tank? Is there a place for him to hide and feel comfortable? You've take out the food that was on the bottom?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I filled up 50% of the water with water from my main tank. It had been cycling for about 3 days before putting him in. He's been in that tank just about a week. He has 2 ornaments that he could hide in. I remove any food that lays on the bottom the next morning.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
MrBomby said:
I filled up 50% of the water with water from my main tank. It had been cycling for about 3 days before putting him in. He's been in that tank just about a week. He has 2 ornaments that he could hide in. I remove any food that lays on the bottom the next morning.
Water doesn't really contain much of the bacteria, that is in the filter medium and gravel. How would the tank be cycling without fish, or any fishless cycle chemical. Watch the water, it sounds like you didn't actually cycle the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'll wait a little longer and hopefully he starts to eat again. The thing that puzzles me is he wouldn't even eat in the tank he was in before and that tanks been running for over a year. You think I should just wait it out then? Does the fish sound healthy overall or do you think he might have some illness?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for bumping an old topic.

I was just observing my peacock a little more and I noticed that he did eat a little bit and every now and then he would "cough". I haven't been able to see his poop yet but does anyone think they know what might be wrong with him now? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Try the Illness forum. A fish that does not eat is either holding or sick.

·
Registered
152 Posts
From what you've said, it doesn't sound like you've cycled your QT yet. You could take a pair of hose or a media bag and fill it with gravel from your cycled tank and put that in for now... that will speed the cycle up. Remember to check your ammonia often to be sure it stays at zero.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts