Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
60 gallon with about 30 mbuna. All are 2 years old. I feed them north fin veggie 1 mm pellets since I got them. I feed them 1x a day. 50% WC every week with gravel vac. I have 2 Fluval 406 running. Water parameters are perfect. I add 1/4 teaspoon of safe with every water change. I didn't even see much aggression.
Over the past month I have noticed sunken belly with great appetite. I noticed the deaths only happen at night.
I've even increased the amount of feeding. I have not added any new fish in over a year. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Sounds like too many fish for a 60G, what are the dimensions of the tank and what is your stock list.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PH is 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20 tops.
Tank is 48" wide x 30" high x 12" deep.
Here's my current stock list.
1: (M) Kenyi
5: (2M, 3F) Yellow Labs
5: (2M, 3F) Cobalt Blue Zebra
1: (1M) Mangano
3: (1M, 2F) Orange Blotched
1: (1F) Nkhata Bay Afra
1: (2F) Labeotropheus trewavasae (Chilumba) Ochre
3: 1M, 2F) Labidochromis sp. Mbamba
1: (1M) Metriaclima greshakeis, Ice Blue Cichlids

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Do they all have sunken bellies or is it worse on the less dominant fish?

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is no doubt that I would treat for internal parasites both in the water column and in food.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you think they get parasites with adding any new fish in over a year?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
If they were not eating I would say that organisms that live in their gut all along begin to multiply when stress makes them susceptible to illness.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I would treat with Kanaplex. Same as metro except it can be absorbed through the body. ie: in the water column.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm wondering what the outcome was...did you find a solution? I haven't had any deaths yet, thankfully, but noticed the sunken stomach on 3 of my yellow labs. No new fish have been introduced recently, so I'm not sure how a parasite or such would have got introduced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts