Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how sumps work and what it would take to filter a 125gallon tank with a sump, what size aquarium would I need? Also what's the diffrence between using a Canister and a Sump.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
In a nutshell, water overflows from the main tank into sump via plumbing, passes through any number of various filter media configuration you want in the sump and is returned to the main tank by a water pump.

Canisters are closed containers that kind of work the same way, the canister sitting below the tank full of filter media, but are all inclusive units. Canisters are quiet and easy to setup and maintain, sumps take a bit more leg work to get setup and quiet.

My 150 has a 30 gallon sump on it. You could really use whatever size you want, so long as it holds all your equipment (pump, filter media, etc) and also allows for adequate drain off of the main tank in case of a power outage. I would aim for a minimum of a 20, like a 20 long, or you could build an acrylic one, or use most any other type of container out there. Do a search for DIY sump and you'll come up with lots of ideas.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Everything RRasco said and really one of the main differences with sumps vs canisters is that you get added gas exchange in a sump.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
loganloganlo said:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how sumps work and what it would take to filter a 125gallon tank with a sump, what size aquarium would I need? Also what's the diffrence between using a Canister and a Sump.
A sump is just a place to hold water until you do something with it like heat it and then push it back to the DT.

Some bio media, floss or filter sock(s) and a Danner mag12 should be about right.

A 30G or larger tank/ container.

Use a sump on larger tanks and cans on any size tank. Usually sumps give you more options and greater flow if needed than a can but there are some cans out there that push 900GPH. If you like to tweak a sump is for you, if you want to set and forget get a can and open as necessary.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am doing a DIY background and was wondering is it easy to use a sump or would a canister be better?

·
Registered
625 Posts
For a background, it might be easier to design around the canister intake rather than deal with the sump overflow box.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I do that I would have one intake and one output does the heater touch the water before or after the water was filtered?

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 125G has a 30G aquarium for a sump. The chambers are acrylic panels cemented in with silicon. You can arrange the chambers in about any configuration you like. Mine has three chambers. I changed the first chamber from a large holding chamber with top overflow to a bottom flow with a sponge block. The first chamber is full of bio balls and a large sponge filter. The second chamber is about 8" deep and hold a bunch of limerock pieces about the size of baseballs or smaller. There is a down and up loop to the third chamber which I have another sponge to filter in the loop and the last chamber is the return. Mine has a mag drive 9.5 which might be a bit too small but pushes a good bit of current in the tank.

P.S. If you use a 30G (or any filter really) make sure you can get it in the stand - preferably from the front, if you don't have access to the rear of the stand. I had my stand custom made to get the 30G in the front cabinet door. Beats having to worry about taking the whole tank down to get the sump out if you need to for any reason.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Piper said:
P.S. If you use a 30G (or any filter really) make sure you can get it in the stand - preferably from the front, if you don't have access to the rear of the stand. I had my stand custom made to get the 30G in the front cabinet door. Beats having to worry about taking the whole tank down to get the sump out if you need to for any reason.
That's important. I had to knock out the rear center support to fit my sump in my 110 tall. It barely fit in my 150 stand with the brace.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I asked the man who makes a good hob overflow box about getting one for my cichlid tank ( no cichlids in it yet ) and he informed me that a sump for freshwater there is zero benefits.

Also went on to tell me that since I did not have a undergravel filter I did not have biological filtration.

so I dropped the idea of using a sump.

·
Registered
93 Posts
pharrix said:
I asked the man who makes a good hob overflow box about getting one for my cichlid tank ( no cichlids in it yet ) and he informed me that a sump for freshwater there is zero benefits.

Also went on to tell me that since I did not have a undergravel filter I did not have biological filtration.

Had he been drinking?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
he informed me that a sump for freshwater there is zero benefits.

He's wrong on both counts. Reconsider.

·
Registered
87 Posts
pharrix said:

Wow. Read this for a counterpoint.

http://www.bestfish.com/ug.html

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yea the guy seemed set in his way and I wasn't going to argue.

When I wanted to do it, I wanted to get something larger than a 20gal, but I could get possibly a 15 under my tank stand. Then I read horrible stories of hob overflows stopping .. then figured it just be better to drop it. I still do enjoy the idea, but not sure about the space.

to make a comment on the actual post.. 30gal is good size for a pump.. wish I could get one to fit under my stand.

I think its more about filtration, hiding equipment if you want and air exchange more than size.. but I couldn't be wrong.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
pharrix said:
That might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts